I yelled at my 2 1/2 year old - how can I keep my cool?

About once per week we just have a lot of trouble getting J down for her afternoon nap. She yells and screams and then the baby gets upset so I have two crying. Today I kept putting J back into bed, trying to get her to stay there, but she wouldn't. She was screaming and crying so loudly that I shouted "SHUT UP!" at her and immediately felt like a horrible ogre of a mother. She just kept on going, so it did no good except to make me feel guilty, scare the baby, and possibly make J feel horrible as well. My own mother shouted at me a lot, though I don't remember it until I was about 6 or so. I just don't want to make my own daughter feel like she is a bad kid. Please, if you have any suggestions for me to try and keep my cool better, help a mama out! Thanks!
I should add that we co-sleep, I stay-at-home, and I nap with both of them every day, so it's not like the routine is ever any different.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This happens to everyone at some point (even if you don't want to admit it!!) THe other day I was so exhausted and at the end of the rope that I actually told the baby to shut up. Clearly not a great day in mothering. With my oldest- I try my best to take a deep breath and calm down. Not always easy- but I try. I also find that when I say her name and I am going to yell- I try to just say her name- stop for a second and tell her I love her instead of whatever else was coming out of my big mouth. THe best thing I do- is when I am having one of those weeks- I try to find some time to myself. If you can't have some me time to relax, I find I have a shorter fuse. So maybe my hubby takes the girls for a while. But a little time for me helps me stay patient longer. But don't worry- you aren't alone. We've all had that moment. The fact that we know it and try to be better is the best we can ask of ourselves!
    Anonymous

• We all do this. It's okay. The walking away and counting to ten really helps a little. Not as satisfying as screaming at them but it gives you a break between freak out mode and handling it a little better. I learned to acknowledge their anger from The Happiest Toddler on the Block and yes, I chanted, "I GET IT, you're MAD, MAD, MAD." complete with a scowl on my face. Sometimes it's frustration on their part because they cannot express themselves. I taught my sons to hit a pillow while mad. If she's acting out just to act out, you have to give her a time out and tend to the baby. Ignore, ignore, ignore as long as you know she is SAFE and not sick.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Aw man, I did this the other day too. I didn't yell shut up, but I said it and felt just as guilty. When I am feeling overwhelmed, I think about how I am the mother and I already HAVE the control and upper hand. I don't have to fight for it, I just own it. It's mine. Once I realize that, I feel better knowing that I don't have to let my child get the best of me no matter how badly she is acting. Also thinking about phases helps. It is so annoying when my daughter throws a fit on the floor, but I know that if I am calm and consistent for long enough it is a phase that too will pass. Then I also think about how at this age she isn't ABLE to control her emotions--I can't really fault her for having a fit because it is currently her only form of expression. When she is able, I will help her express herself in better ways. Just look at the big picture and everything will be fine.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 4:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009