What is the best baby shower gift?

My friend and I were having this discussion. She has no kids and was asking me if I thought if a box of diapers would be a good gift for her husband's co-worker and his wife. I said that they would really appreciate a gift like that. Her husband said it was a stupid gift (yeah, consider the source, lol). I know that there are other great gifts, but when you're not sure what they have, want, or the sex of the baby aren't diapers/wipes good gifts? I personally love the boppy pillow and think it would be a great gift for anyone, but if I wasn't sure I wouldn't want to be the 4th person to give someone a boppy...lol.

Adriana2000

Asked by Adriana2000 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• ALWAYS A SAFE BET WITH DIAPERS
    casd

Answer by casd at 4:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• well you can never go wrong with diapers. I wouldn't get newborn diapers though because the size and weight of the baby my be a bit bigger than normal but def diapers and wipes. They help a new mom out LOADS. Also bibs are great. Babies are spitting machines so they are always a great gift.
    sunkiss456

Answer by sunkiss456 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think if you don't know the person well then diaper and wipes are great, along with bath stuff, things that don't have sizes or genders. If you know someone well I think the best gifts are things for the mother...like a homemade meal that she can keep in the freezer and pop out when the baby is here on a rough night, or even a pizza gift card, also things that focus on mom a new pair of pajamas, or a nursing gown(if you know the mother will be nursing). That is just an idea, also if you have a special talent like cooking then offer a few meals, or if you are good at photography offer to come and take some photos of the new baby, or even moms pregnant belly. I think all gifts are appreciated!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Diapers are fine but my all time favorite were a egg carton of TRUMPETTE socks. These stay on babies feet unlike all other socks. They come in many colors for M/F and I forced them onto my kids feet until age 3. Also, onesies with long sleeves and fewer snaps the better. I liked the "dress" for newborns because you change them SO often, the snaps and stuff are a pain.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I am a firm believer in using a registry if a couple has one. If a new mother went through the trouble of registering, she most likely worked very hard picking out her themes and colors and researching what she feels are the best and safest products for her baby (I know I did!). I love all of my gifts but I know that I treasure the gifts where the giver showed interest and appreciation for my theme and favorite colors the most because they took time to care about the little things that were important to me. Registries make things simple and you can always include another little gift that's not on the registry too.

Diapers are a great gift if they are unregistered or you don't know there their registry is. Like someone else said, don't get newborn diapers. When gifting to new moms the #1 priority should be that the gift is something they can use and diapers fit the bill!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Other good gifts are things that they don't think about until the day they need them, such as a baby first aid kit that includes a thermometer, or a baby tooth kit that includes tools to clean babies mouth at all stages, from the gums up to their first toothbrush. I got both of those for my girlfriend, and they weren't a big hit right away, but when it came time to use them she thanked me profusely.

But yes, diapers are always welcome and appreciated. You can never have enough. Desitin is another good one as well. I think I got 5 tubes of it, lol. Baby soaps and shampoo and lotion too.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Anytime someone doesn't register, I buy a Boppy and a slip cover for it. If I know they already have one or that someone else is going to buy it, I love to go with something like diapers and wipes. Or even a baby tub and fill it with things like lotion, shampoo, diaper rash cream, etc. Things that can go for a boy or girl are great.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I like to put a basket together, which includes wipes, diaper rash ointment, lotions, baby wash, onsies etc.
    Anonymous

• diapers diapers diapers diaper!!!!!!!!!!
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 4:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If you don't know what things they already have diapers, wipes, bath stuff, baby laundry detergent, socks, bibs-both in larger sizes- are good ideas, they are things that noone ever has enough of.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009