When should you start finger foods???

I got my email saying my daughter is 31 weeks and its time to start giving them finger foods?? Is this okay, also what kinds of foods should i start???

kaydencemommy

Asked by kaydencemommy at 4:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 31 weeks....so thats what? Like 7 or 8 months?

Yes, they can start finger foods then. I started Kaylee at 8 months. I started her with gerber finger foods (puffs, biter biscuits, ect) and have gone up from there (she is now 10 months) to just about anything that we eat aside from honey, peanuts, and citrus.

A good rule of thumb is if you can mash the food against the roof of your mouth with your tongue with little/no effort then they can "gum it".
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I started giving my daughter finger foods about 8 or 9 months. I would always get the foods from Gerber that would dissolve in her mouth I forget the name of them. I also let her have biter biscuits but I kept an eye on her with those because if she gummed it hard enough she could break chunks off. So be careful with those.
    sunkiss456

Answer by sunkiss456 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I started around 7 mo. with Baby Mum Mums (great first finger food) then cheerios. Then I just started doing cubed steamed veggies and fruit (whatever she would get in a jar). She loves it! Now that she is older (10.5 mo.) she gets chicken nuggets, fish, squished beans, pasta, toast, waffle, fruits, veggies whatever.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I am thinking we started with DD around 7-8 months. Go for puffs, diced cooked veggies and fruits, cheerios, biter biscuits, bread. That sort of thing. Carolyn is right regarding how to test what is a decent texture for them. If you can mash it with you tongue easily, the child can most likely gum it well.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• We started at 6 months. It depends on the baby, though. Mine were majorly into food. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2009