Why does my daughter's legs hurt?

My 5 year old daughter started complaining about her legs about 3 months ago. The first time was when she was getting out of bed in the morning. Now it's almost every time she has to walk. I've asked two doctors while at visits for a different reason, and they won't even check it out. What should I do? Why would her legs be hurting for so long? She says she can't even walk because they hurt so much and she cries if we make her walk sometimes (just short distances even). She's not the kind of girl to just complain or to want to be carried for no reason. She's very independent and doesn't cause problems ever.

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 4:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She says they hurt all over now, but she started out complaining just about her calves. Not in her hips though, just in her legs.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 5:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• take her to the chiropractor.. is it her leg or her hips?
    I had this problem and still no one believes me!
    Get an X-ray they tell you so much
    Anonymous

• where do they hurt? all over, in front, in back? might be some sort of muscle problem
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 4:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I would look up some information on Osgood-Schlatter disease. My younger sister had it but, I don't really think it is effecting her much anymore (she is twelve now and I can't remember how old she was when she developed it). GL!

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Growing pains
    Anonymous

• If it wasn't so severe, I'd think growing pains. My son gets them from time to time, but they never interfere with him walking. I'd find another dr who will take you seriously.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My 2 year old complained that her leg hurt and refused to walk or stand on it. We took her to children's hospital and they did an xray. Come to find out she had a Compression Fracture of the tibia just below the knee. Since girls bones do not become hard until age 14, they said it was commom for their bones to just compress or accordian. The xray looked like you drew lines around the circumphrance of the bone. She compressed her bone about a half inch. The Ortho Doctor says this is common but always missed since it is hard to see sometimes on the xrays. I would go to your childrens hospital and get her legs xrayed.
    kittymom

Answer by kittymom at 6:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• How old is she? I would maybe take her to a chiropractor.
    AlyssaH87

Answer by AlyssaH87 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Believe me I been there and done that with my daughter they thought she had oschgood syndrome but thats not what she had. She wasnt able to walk for at least 3 months. I took her to several specialists and they still dont know what she had. She was dignosed with Juvinile Arthritis in the hips. Now she is fine but still has pain a little esp when cold. But hopefully your child dont go throught what my daughter did.
    momof5kidz

Answer by momof5kidz at 6:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I was thinking possible growing pains as well.
    Anonymous