what are your food buying habits?

Every week I shop for things on SALE only. Because of this Im always well stocked. I don't have a list or meals planned I just know that I'm saving money buy matching my coupons to weekly store ads. For instance I saved $27 at walgreens buy using coupons and their sales.
My husband on the other hand would prefer it if I went shopping only when we ran out of food or toiletries. He gets so mad when I spend $2oo on food, but doesn't see that I saved over $100.
Just curious, how are your shopping habits?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband doesn't "get" saving money like that either. I only buy what I'll use in a reasonable length of time. I don't wait until I run out. I shop or buy as soon as the last is opened, this way I have the luxury of waiting for a while on sales or for coupons. But I don't like to be totally out of something that I like to use. My husband announces that he is out of something he uses every day, for example, so I have to make a special trip to the store, but if he'd have told me when he opened the last of the item, then I could have at least tried to buy it on sale, or anyway not made a special trip for it.

Answer by Bmat at 4:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I shop once a week and I also have many things stocked also. I stock up when things are on sale and most of my weekly shopping is for perishables, fresh fruit and veggies, cold cuts, dairy, etc...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I coupon and stockpile, and my husband totally gets it. We've been doing it this way over a year now, and he learned a long time ago that he doesn't ask for something that week, he asks me to pick it up when it's "on the list." The only thing I "need" to shop for is cheese and eggs because they can't be frozen and used for anything, only certain things. We have a variety of everything else on hand at all times, and I only buy what I can get free or nearly free each week between sale and coupons to keep the freezer stocked and fresh fruit/veggies in the house.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I'm not great with buying in bulk to save but I know I should. I just hate grocery shopping.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I go to Walmart and get what I have coupons for and then I buy whatever else catches my eye.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009