Do you tell the teacher about potential changes and concerns with your children?

My SS has been really scattered lately. More than usual. Tuesday he was acting sick with the stomach bug that my husband and I had had. I kept him out of school and he finally decided to tell me what was going on. He is concerned that his mother and her long term live in boyfriend are going to split up. They have been fighting a lot and he is very aware of it. Would you tell the teacher what has him bothered if you were me. I normally like to keep the teachers involved, but I am not sure if this is something I should mention or not.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would mention that there are some home issues that may affect his behavior and grades, so she can keep an eye out. I wouldn't get detailed as to exactly what is going on, unless there was some kind of abuse or drugs or something involved, or something where you are concerned for his safety where she might need to know to watch how he behaves around a particular person to see if something is going on.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I would let the teacher know there are issues at home but not go into specifics. She doesn't need the details.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I agree with ReneeK3. Definitely let the teacher know that there are some issues going on, but don't get too gossipy.

When we were expecting another baby and adopting one as well, I told my son's teacher what was happening so she would be prepared for any bad behavior....which definitely happened!! But she was prepared and knew that it was just acting out from sibling rivalry.
    Anonymous

• I would let the teacher know what is going on. My SD;s teacher asks questions when I am a little vague so i just try to answer the questions without sounding too bad towards her BM. Teachers really like being aware of things going on. It helps them to help your children.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• As a kindergarten teacher, I do appreciate knowing when something is going on with one of my babies. I do not need specifics, but just knowing there may be 'issues' can give me more insight - and patience - if the situation is affecting a child's behavior, grades, attitude, etc. God bless you and this little one - I will be praying for all of you!
    msalphabet

Answer by msalphabet at 7:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I teach 2nd grade and I like to know what is stressing my kids out. Depending on the situation, it may affect lots of things, both academics and socialy. I would let the teacher know something is going on. You might not be at liberty to discuss the details but your SS might open up to the teacher.
    afdavis27

Answer by afdavis27 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I would mention it. That way the teacher won't have to guess if odd new behavior pops up. As a teacher, I would want to know at least that something was up.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• So what I said was that he was having some security issues in his second home. That seemed enough to me to ensure the teacher was informed without airing out someone's dirty laundry. Seem reasonable? Thanks ladies.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• yes i do because it might progress during school time and the reason might have something pertaining to school. My sisters 7 yr old daughter was beaten up by a 15 yr old boy in church. After it happened my niece started to become reclusive during the weekend. So she alerted the school about this and told them to let her know if they see it worsen or any other changes. My niece is a very outgoing and bright little girl. This situation changed her alot so my family keeps a close eye on her now always.
    CShah

Answer by CShah at 6:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2009