drinking from a cup?

my 22 month old drinks from straw cups and sippy's, the wic lady said i should switch him to normal cup, i have been wanting to do this-but how? its not too early is it? i would like to see him using a cup by 2...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The wic lady told me the same thing and gave me a free cup to start, did you get the free cup? I started by putting a very small amount in the cup ,like a sip for the baby, and just giving it to them, you'll have spills try to do it outside. Then as the weeks go by fill the cup a lil more try to explain about spilling and how we have to be very careful on mommies carpet,lol. Caine still takes cups with straws because he likes them, no more sippers though and he's 28 months. But he has mastered the cup drinking
    cainesmama

Answer by cainesmama at 4:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My daughter is 2 and will drink from a normal cup. I used the cups with two handles to introduce her to cups. However; we still use straw sippy when in the car or traveling ( this means no spills). Two year olds still have a habit of dropping cups and leaving them weird places so sippy cups still come in handy.
    tigerlily511

Answer by tigerlily511 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• First of all, the people at the WIC office are not the authority on YOUR kid.

My oldest was 2 when he started with a regular cup. I could tell by the way he handled his straw cup at the table he could handle a cup.

My second was just over 2 when we started with him. He just didn't have the ability to handle it before then.

My third is now almost 28 months (a bit more over 2 than the second son) and there is NO WAY I'm giving him an open cup! NO WAY!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My dd kinda skipped the whole sippy stage. She started wanting and doing really well with a big girl cup when she was around 13 months. We started out just at the dinner table then when she got to where we knew she was okay enough to let her have one when i t wasn't dinner time but when she wasn't getting a drink put it on the kitchen counter or table. She took to it really well by us cheering and being happy that she could do it and tell her she was such a big girl for doing so. She still has a sports bottle type sippy that goes in the car on road trips, but she transitioned fine.
    Anonymous

• My 21 month old has been drinking from regular cups since about 12 months old. She gets them at the table with meals, but her sippy while down and playing. I do not think it is too early at all. We are trying to take sippys away from her now too. Her older brother drinks from his cup at the table and leaves it there while playing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Can I ask why wic even cares? It isn't like it changes anything...

Anyways, as for your question, I would also start outside with an open cup and expect spills. You can get a sippy cup that isn't leak proof. that way they will know if they turn the cup over, it will spill. (Yes, it will still make a mess, just a more slow spill than an open cup!)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2009