Thyroid test .......?

I went to the lab to have some blood withdrawn the other day to have my thryoid checked out.
What are they looking for?
Will I have to go on medication if something seems wrong??
thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Health

• It depends on how wrong. They may wait and see, or you might be prescribed something. Good luck.

Answer by Bmat at 4:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• They're checking to see if it's over-active, under-active, or just right. Depending on the results you MAY need medication, but not necessarily. Good luck!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I just had this done myself.  They are checking your Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) level. If it's below normal you may be hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid). If the level is above normal you may have hypothyroid (underactive thyroid). In either case you may need medication. They may also be running more detailed tests called T3 or T4 which would provide some more information. There's a "How to Interpret Your Thyroid Tests" article that might be helpful for you (if you get the test results from your doctor)

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009