Baby shower thank you etiquette?

When you write the thank you cards, do you include what the person gave you? And its my church that's throwing me a baby shower people I hardly know will be there, how can I say thank you back to them for the nice gesture?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, you would probably write something like "Thank you for the beautiful receiving blankets, they go so well with the theme we picked for the nursery" or "Thank you for the teething rings, I've heard I'm going to need them!" Ask someone at the shower to be responsible for writing down who gave you what so that you can send thank you cards later. As for thanking the church, a thank you card for the organizer would be a good start but you could also give a donation to the church. If the church does toy drives or clothes drives for needy families, you could also donate unused or outgrown clothes and toys.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I said "thank you so much for the blah blah blah...The baby will look so cute...or...I'll get so much use...or...it meant a lot to me...or so on and so forth." If they gave a gift card I would tell them what I intended to use it on, or if they gave money I explained how we already opened a savings account for baby. I tried to be extremely thoughtful and I made each thank you personal since everyone was so kind to me. .... Oh I also thanked everyone for coming to the baby shower....
    Anonymous

• Generally, yes. You want to have the person's name, what they gave you, and how you plan to use it (ie Dear Mrs. Henderson, thank you for the lovely layette, I can't wait to see my little one in it! It was wonderful seeing you; thank you for coming to my shower! Sincerely, me) Have someone (best friend, MIL) write down all gifts and who they are from as you open them.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• im having a big shower so i already bought the thank you cards.. im havin my sister hand them out at the shower and do a drawing for the filled out address on the envolopes.. that way all i have to fill out is the thank you card..
    1sttymmom409

Answer by 1sttymmom409 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• As you are opening your gifts have a friend at your side with pen and paper to note what the gift was and who gave it to you. If you don't know their addresses, the church should have a directory or you could take the thank you notes to church with their names on the envelopes and have the pastor/ church secretary let people know that your notes are in the church office. Mentioning each gift in your notes is a thoughtful thing to do. Here's a thought...purchase your thank you cards and take them to the shower and have everyone address one with their names and addresses on the envelope, then take your list and write the notes when you get home.
    www.newmommyteesandjeans.com
    Mommyghee

Answer by Mommyghee at 6:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2009