• In the Spotlight:

whos to blame?

ok i know sex offenders are scum and they ruin peoples lives my mom is still scarred from past abuse. but what about the parents who let their 11-15 yr old kids dress provocatively and take them and drop them off at the mall and dont supervise their internet. arent they partly to blame too? parents should always pay attention to their kids but i know it happens to close relatives my mom was abused by her uncle. but i just want to know what you think

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I get what your saying...don't put a target on their backs...or a micro mini.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 5:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• So if you are walking down the street in what some rapist deems as provocative it is your fault if you get raped? Same logic here. Yeah some kids are dressing too old but that doesn't give perverts who abuse children an excuse!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• There's no excuse for rape or abuse, but it's still parents' jobs to keep their kids safe, and pay attention to where they're going and who they spend time with.
    MommyLi288

Answer by MommyLi288 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Thank you goalie mom!! I see your point OP, but I think it would better fit with "are parents partly to blame for their teen losing their virginity at such a young age?" It doesn't matter if you are walking down the street completely naked NO ONE has the right to rape or sexually abuse. Sex crimes seem to be the only crime where the victim, or the victim's parents, are blamed! Can you imagine calling the police and telling them you new BMW was stolen from your driveway and them saying to you, "Well you shouldn't have been driving such a nice car."? That being said I do agree that too many young girls (and women too) dress too provocatively. Parents need to teach their daughters respect for themselves and for the rest of the world.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 5:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• MommyLi288 I agree with you, but perverts tend to hang out where the young girls do. So sending your child to a "safe" place like Chuckie Chese is not always safe.
    Anonymous

• If a kid is dressed completely hooched out ...you can't deny that the wrong kind of people are going to notice her. It also suggest that no ones keeping a close eye on her and she's insecure. I know no one has the right to rape anyone but there are certain things predators fix on.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 5:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• if you let your kid dress like a slut then guess what she is probably going to get raped weather you like it or not maybe if parents acted like parents instead of acting like there kids friends then rape would go down.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 6:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• wow, way to let the rapists off the hook.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• autod...
    wow, way to let the rapists off the hook.

no one is saying they get off the hook but if you dress in an inappropriate way you are going to get unwanted attention.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• whose definition of inappropriate? jeans? a hemline above the knee? or just being out of a burkha?

is rape more justified at the beach since more skin is shown there?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009