toddler not talking

I have a n almost threee year old who won't talk. I have heard him use words although he is no where near where he is suppost to be at this age, he prefers to babble though. His sister is 15 months and she says more words than he does. His father does not want him to see a specialist he says he will get better on his own but I'm begining to doubt that , my only hope now is when his sister really starts he will pick it up.any suggestions would be appriciated.

countrygirl06

Asked by countrygirl06 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The Doctors say every baby is different and there is no set age, but I think I would want to make sure that there is no problem with his ears. If you don't want to go to a specialist take your son to his pediatrician. If he or she thinks there is a problem they would refer you to the proper specialist for help with the problem. Good Luck
    Lisamroski

Answer by Lisamroski at 8:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If he is almost three, then he should see a specialist. It could be something medical, like a problem with his ears, that is keeping him from speaking. Although I do think most people tend to go to specialist too often for problems that will resolve themselves, I think that you should at least consult with his doctor and maybe have him seen by a speech therapist. It won't do any harm.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Have you talked with your DR about him not talking? My 2nd and 3rd kids didnt really start talknig until they were alittle over 3, but that was with the help of my oldest, and he would translate for me. I did go to a speach therapyst also, shortly after going they started picking up words, they did alot of hands on, used dolls, trucks and blocks. My 17m/o is not talking yet, but I am not concerned. Does he get alot of ear infections, maybe he is having trouble hearing correctly. I'm not saying thats the problem, but thats why you should talk with your DR
    Anonymous

• Talk to the doctor. Tell your hubby if it is truly nothing then there is no harm in finding out. But a child of three should have some language. By way of encouragement when my oldest was two she said maybe 10 words. We got her into an early intervention preschool and by the time she was 3 she was up to normal speach levels. Now at 13 she is top of her class in almost all her subjects.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• The earlier the help, the better the outcome. Do NOT just wait for him to pick it up on his own or learn it from his baby sister. Take him in for an evaluation.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2009