Breast is always best?

I don't agree that breastfeeding is ALWAYS best for your baby or that the current stats on women that can't breastfeed are accurate. Why is it that women think that breastfeeding is the best regardless of what they smoke, eat, drink or what they are exposed to? If you eat very healthy and your baby can handle milk then breast milk is perfect for your baby but breastfeeding is not a free for all. If you don't eat healthy, consume enough calories and cut out and limit certain things formula is BETTER for your baby. To many babies fail to thrive because mothers don't take care of themselves to produce enough "good" milk or they struggle to breastfeed when they can't produce enough because of the peer pressure to breastfeed only. Bottom line..breastmilk or formula do what is best for your baby. Shouldn't we all preach this instead of fighting?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Take a look at all the ingredients that are in the foods you eat....guess what your baby is getting that in your breast milk!! Surprise!!!! :)

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• There will always be an argument. No matter what. I agree, it should be do what is best for you and your baby. Unfortunately, many mothers out there believe in their own opinion and can't try to find an equal ground.
    Anonymous

• Actually it's misinformation that a mom needs to eat an unrealistically healthy diet or live an exceeding healthy lifestyle to produce 'good' milk or sufficient milk. Your body will steal from it's own resources in order to provide for the baby, and moms on a low cal diet do not have less fat in their milk than moms eating more fat. For info about this from a medical source, check out the Dr Newman fact sheets on www.kellymom.com. That being said, parenting choices are many and ultimately it is our right to choose what we feel is best for our own babies. If that means bf'ing, fine, if it means ff'ing, fine. It' s up to us as moms. We don't all have to agree, we just need to feel good about our own decisions.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I completely agree with you. I really really hate that line. It makes me cringe every time I hear it.

Too bad there are so many very narrow minded individuals that think their way is the only way.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• *Gives standing ovation to legalmommy101*
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• "If you don't eat healthy, consume enough calories and cut out and limit certain things formula is BETTER for your baby. To many babies fail to thrive because mothers don't take care of themselves to produce enough "good" milk or they struggle to breastfeed when they can't produce enough because of the peer pressure to breastfeed only."

Not true. No matter your diet, your baby will get perfect milk, though YOUR health may suffer. Struggling because of low supply? Many of those women merely THINK their supply is low.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• To add, I don't eat THAT healthily, and both of my children thrived. I've never had to limit or remove anything from my diet. Drinking is fine, in moderation, and smoking is still better then smoking and being a FFer.

Breast is ALMOST ALWAYS best.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think that if the mother is on drugs she shouldn't breastfeed.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 6:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Drugs... as in illegal, or prescribed?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• illegal
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 6:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009