Very common question but different...

I have a 2 yo dd about to be 3 in April. The only comfort object she has clung onto is her bottle (just water and has been since she was 10 months) Anyways I have been very reluctant due to the fact that this is really the only thing that comforts her other than me and her dadda. I am going to through a big girl party for her cupcakes, balloons, small presents and a few of her age friends. At this time I am hoping she will be excited that everyone knows she is a big girl and she will through the bottle away and we will all cheer. This is my plan what is your opinion on this method and what were your bottle breaking stories?? Thank you!

liltxnchic

Asked by liltxnchic at 5:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Also, once you do something like that of the bottle fairy, you CANNOT go back on it. She will find another way to comfort herself. Things like that usually only take a couple of days, just sometimes they're awfully hard days.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It might work. What worked for us is "throwing" them all away at 12 months. We really just boxed them up for baby #2. She never was attached to them so I guess I won't be much help.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 6:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Just take it away. Steal it during the night and tell her it's lost in the morning. Have someone run it over. Tell her she can't use it if it's broken. Get her to use her baba for a babydoll. Tell her big girls don't use babas. Some suggestions
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 6:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It may very well work.
    My daughter was quite happy to have the "bottle fairy" come. The fairy took all of her bottles and left her a small present (a punching balloon, 50 cents at Target). Everytime she saw the balloon in the days after that she would talk about how the bottle fairy gave that to her when she took all of the bottles off to a new baby that needed them. She was very proud.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I just took my 2 1/2 year old off her bottle we couldnt find it one night and she went to bed with a cuppy so i got up and searched for the bottles and when she asked where they were I told her the mailman took them to give to poor little kids that didnt have them and i told her that I also gave the mailman some milk for the child and it made her feel good i told her that she was a big girl for not crying and that mommy was proud that she could do that
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 9:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You could box them up in a pretty box and pretend to mail them off for the babies that need them. I know a friend who swore by that method for getting rid of the pacifier. I think she's probably old enough to conceptualize that, maybe not.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Thought I would let everyone know the "BIG GIRL" party was a huge success!! Thank you for your advice and stories.
    liltxnchic

Answer by liltxnchic at 3:14 AM on Mar. 14, 2009