If you touch a baby bunny will the mom kill it like birds do?

I found some burrowed up in the weeds at the bottom of a tree. They are so cute I would like to hold one but I wouldn't want the mom to kill it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Here are a couple of web sites you might find interesting:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/babybird.asp Touching baby birds does not mean the mother will kill them.

http://www.hopperhome.com/wild_bunnies.htm Touching wild bunnies does not cause the mother to kill it or abandon it.

munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• is this baby and bunny your own pet, used to the family??? Not usually will the mother kill it...but I suggest waiting for a week or until it gets fur to really hold and touch it...

We used to bring them in the house on a towel when their eyes opened and let them hop around and get used to people touching them...
    RustysMom

Answer by RustysMom at 6:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• don't touch she will probaly abandone the whole nest
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I used to breed rabbits. Please don't touch the babies. Mother bunnies will abandon or even eat their whole litter if even one baby is messed with. Once the babies start eating on their own and start leaving the nest you can start touching them. Actually, you should go near the nest at all, mother bunnies may even abandon the nest if the nest is disturbed even slightly.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 7:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Do not touch those babies .My grandfather is a breeder for his own farm not for sale well Even our own bunnies we were told not to touch because just like babies they get comfort in smell and if these are wild bunnies the mommy will be confused and attack.I you already touched them my best recomendation is to just from a far distance watch the babies and if you see the babies are in you should just take and keep them.
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 1:08 AM on Mar. 13, 2009