How to deal with regression

My 3 year old was almost completely potty trained, he still peed his pants but hasn't pooped in his pants for a long time. However I gave birth to his baby brother last week and although he is an awesome big brother, he hasn't used the toilet since I brought the baby home. I expected this to happen, but how do I deal with it? Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

amber1216

Asked by amber1216 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Go back to basic potty training. Treat him like he was never potty trained. It is very common for kids to regress due to a new baby, but he will get the hang of it again. Be patient!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Just patience & try not to get angry. It's a hard time. Good luck.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 6:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Are you expecting him to just go on his own or to tell you when he needs to go? If so, then put him back on a schedule. Take him every hour just like you did at the beginning. When he starts staying dry, move him to every hour and a half, then every 2 hours. Keep taking him every 2 hours until he starts to go on his own without telling you and still stays dry. That might be a year or two.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Have him help with the new baby to help differentiate between a baby and a big boy. Tell him that only babies use diapers, and praise him for helping you get the diapers/wipes, unbuttoning the onsie, etc. Tell him that big brothers get to show little brothers how to use the potty, so he needs to be really good at it by the time the baby is bigger. Let the baby "watch" him use the toilet, even if he makes a mess. Have him help the baby "use" the toilet by talking him through it while you hold him. This is the types of things that I have done with my daugher and her baby sister, and she really responded to it, and hasn't had a problem with regression.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2009