3 years old this month and he isnt talking very well!

I have a three year old and hes not talking very well, hes words come out very quick and not clear, and when he gets excited theres no way you can understand one word. Should he be talking more clearly? ( i can understand most of what he says but it seems like im the only one who can )
Hes learning two languages at once, could this be the cause of it?

aidensmom1984

Asked by aidensmom1984 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would call info. and see if you can locate an ECI Early child intervention program!! they are FREE and fabulous! My oldest ds was the EXACT same way! We said he spoke ethan'ese! lol We had him tested @ 2 1/2 and he is now 7 ! and He is doing soo well! He STILL takes speech but he can ACTUALLY read now! I get so emotional when I talk about it! he has come a LONG way !! Keep you head up momma! And no matter what happens YOU PUSH for what you THINK your lo one needs! and you WILL get it!
    texmexmom

Answer by texmexmom at 6:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It can slow language acquisition in both languages but that usually stops by school age. I wonder, is he in any type of preschool? Often kids that have language delays aren't truly delayed it's just that we mommies take care of their needs before they need to ask. You can talk with your pediatrician and ask for an assessment if you are truly concerned.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I am babysitting for a little boy right now,that is the same way,His mom went to the elementry school.or school board,and I think when they reach 3,they can start speech class at the school,I take him 2 days a week.He has been going this whole school year.I live in Va.Chase would start his words,but not finish them,like he would say bie for bike,so they have been working on that with him.It has helped him a great deal.One thing they used for him,they would put like little feathers in their hand,and have Chase sound out the letter ,when he would say bike ,at the end of the word he would go ka,and it would blow the feathers.WE also practice with him.Good luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• also we have some GREAT support groups here on CM for speech delayed children! I am in one! Pm me!
    texmexmom

Answer by texmexmom at 6:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• hey I want to see more answers for this one my little one is learning two languages at once and is in the same boat.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2009