My puppys brother has worms and I havent noticed that mine does but...

It can infect children right? Should I be totally freaking out? I'm bringing him to the vet tomorrow. I also read it can infect people and i've been trying to potty train him. I've never had a dog before and this IS freaking me out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Pets

• All puppies are born with worms and should be dewormed regularly. We just picked up our puppy today and this is what the breeder told us. Yes you can get worms from the puppy. Call the vet to see if you need to bring in a stool sample.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• OP- but how do I prevent it from infecting my family? should it just not be touched until its dewormed? only need to worry about the stool? what?
    Anonymous

• You family is fine. I used to breed dogs, and all puppies have worms, it is normal. Don't worry about your family. As mentioned, I use to breed dogs and my family was NEVER infected with worms.
    Anonymous

• Okay good, thank you so much!
    Anonymous

• Puppies are born wormy, all of them. It has a lot to do with the mother and the environment.

Worms are common, and are easy to control, and honestly, I've never heard of people getting worms from dogs... not saying it can't happen, but that's not something I've heard of, and I've had dogs all my life. Just hit the local feed store, Tractor Supply, PetCo/PetSmart, you can buy a tube of wormer with instructions, dosage is usually marked on the tube by weight. Plus, if you buy it from a store, it's going to be 100x cheaper than letting your vet worm your puppy. Having the vet worm the puppy isn't a bad idea, but if you can do the same thing for him at home, cheaper, why not? Try praziquantel or pyrantel pamoate, they will do the trick. And once the puppy is wormed, it will probably take a few days to get all traces out of the feces.

Worms isn't parvo, so you can safely play with your puppy all you want!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Kids can't get parvo, but they can get worms. I once got hookworm in my leg (it cannot burrow through the inner dermis in humans, and so migrates laterally under the outer dermis) from kneeling down in a friend's kennel where she had a problem with it. I took Ivermectin for 3 days and wiped it out.

I spoke with my Ped. about worming my son regularly because he likes to play with the puppies, he said it wouldn't hurt him.
    Anonymous

• They all get worms at some point in time or another. My cat just had tapeworms and I flipped out and called the vet ASAP. I asked them if my kids could get them and they said only if ingested...obviously I had nothing to worry about. She was dewormed the next day.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• all puppies get worms make sure you know the dogs weight to measure the medicine I would trust a small puppy to the vet we accidently overdosed a goat once she lived but it hurt her tummy puppies are a little fragile maake sure to buy puppie stuff I would treat twice once when younge then wait 4months but at a certain age I don't remember they are on heart gaurd stuff to fight the stuff mosquitos bring and AVON skin so soft really helps to keep knats out of their ears
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have heard of humans getting worms from dogs, but it is from not picking up poop in their yard and a child stepping in it, (these were only hook worns) More thank likely your dog has round worms. It's not a matter of if they have worms, but it is how bad is the infestation. Regular deworming is need as well as deworming to go along with their shot series when they are puppies. Good Luck and your family should be fine!
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2009