Why is it that the conservative Christians are the first people to bash public assitance programs?

I am a Christian and I think that God would want us to provide everyone with health care, food, shelter and basic education.

How do you justify NOT wanting to provide these items to those less fortunate. And why do you feel that people who take public assistance are somehow bad or lazy?

(I am a working mom BTW so please don't assume that bc I posted this question I am on assistance.)

Niki_sd

Asked by Niki_sd at 6:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because they're hypocrites? Seriously..They are the first to say abortion and birth control are sins, but then bash people for having more kids than they can afford.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you.
    Anonymous

• i totally agree to a point, because there are those who do abuse the system and those who do need it are not able to get the help that they need because of those abusing the system.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 6:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Then health care should be a Christian program not the government’s.
    Anonymous

• Encouraging charitable contributions to help those in needs is one thing and distributing wealth by the government is something else entirely.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 6:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• wow, Idk! never heard it phrased like that?? w/ every group there are gonna be "bad seeds" . ?? I dk
    texmexmom

Answer by texmexmom at 6:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• In the current state of affairs with our country, many people are having problems economically. That is a fact. We don't need to judge others whether they are on assistance or for other reasons. It does NO GOOD!

I have not run into these 'conservative' Christians! I consider myself pretty conservative and i don't feel this way at all. That is a pretty big generalizaton.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 6:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Exactly miriamz.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I love helping out "less fortunate" people, but I just like it to be on my terms, not jacked from my paycheck:)
    Anonymous

• I think the reason I have a problem with SOME people on assistance is that in my state (KY) it is very easy to get on assistance and stay on it. I did received food stamps for 4 months while my DH was on unemployment. So I understand what the purpose of it but I get upset when you have generation after generation on it and it becomes a way of life. Did anyone see the 20/20 episode about the children in KY, that’s where I am from.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 6:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2009