• In the Spotlight:

become a guardian

I was told to see about becoming a guardian for a new born baby. I live in IL. please give me some information being a guardian?

answeredpray819

Asked by answeredpray819 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Adoption

• Whose baby is it? And why do they need guardianship? The baby's social worker should be able to help you through the process, if you're being considered.
    grtlyblesd

Answer by grtlyblesd at 7:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It's my friend who is 7 months. I can't have children and she has three. She is a single parent that cant support another child. I would love to take guardianship!
    answeredpray819

Answer by answeredpray819 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You just go to an attorney and have a guardianship paper written up. But, if you are going to raise this child then your going to have adopt it or get sole custody to put it on your health insurance. I have a guardianship paper for my SS. There is no reason to involve Social services in this though. Go through an attorney.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:40 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i was in foster care and it was the best thing for me... do it help out it will truly be a life experience you will never forget.
    jamerz89

Answer by jamerz89 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I wish more people would consider legal guardianship!!!! It is a wonderful way to provide love and support to a child in need that allows the bonds of birth family to remain intact . In many circumstances (and in many cultures) there are times and circumstances where guardianship is a preferred route.

PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2009