18 month old cranky little boy!

My son is 18 months and is always fussy. He is constantly crying over something and acts spoiled but in all honesty, isnt.
Im lost on what to do. Everyone around him is always saying how much he hates them because he always screams when he sees someone who isnt his daddy or I. They always say he is cranky and such and makes me feel like they think he is just a bad kid and he isnt though :(
Any suggestions to help make my child less cranky and more happy!? I am worried about him!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he still a nap? A couple times a day? Maybe his sleeping schedule needs to be addressed? If the sleeping schedule isn't the issue, try getting him to a play group somewhere or with different kids so he can get use to other kids/people and he will see how other kids act. Hopefully it will pass which I'm sure it will. In the mean time keep your head up. He may need some additional sit down and play him time.
    Anonymous

• I agree on the naps- for the sanity of you and him- and want to remind you that children go through many phases and this too shall pass. don't worry, just be consistent with him and he will learn what is or is not acceptable behavior...
    Honestly it wasn't as young as 18 months but when my kids get whiny I tell them no one likes a whiny baby and put them down for a nap. I tell them that when they are done whining they can get up (my oldest would calm down then come back- my youngest would fall asleep and wake up in a better mood) it depends on his personality.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I agree - is he getting enough sleep? This sounds like an overtired, super cranky kid. He needs 12 to 15 hours a day. Some kids do fine on 12, some need 15. Make sure he's getting enough.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009