As a non-Christian do you do anything for St. Patricks Day?

Being the day is supposed to be a celebration of the life and death of St. Patrick who was known for ridding Ireland of Pagans, do you think it's appropriate to participate in the celebration as a non-believer or a Pagan?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think religion has little to do with St. Patrick's Day anymore. We celebrate our Irish heritage with beer and corned beef & cabbage and wearing green. That's about it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I don't celebrate for religious purposes. We celebrate by eating corned beef and cabbage and wearing green. But nothing religious here.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I drink a lot of green beer..And prey to the porcelain thrown

Answer by louise2 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I was just reading the history of St. Patrick and was thinking the same thing but didn't want to ask it in the other post.. wanted to keep it kind of light... but thanks for asking because I was curious.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I never really did anything for St Patrick's day aside from wearing green (and orange)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I usually keep the holiday light. But trust me I will be reading more into St. Patrick, thanks Sabrina.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• For me, I am very proud of my Irish heritiage! However I have very mixed feelings about this day. I am a pagan woman and most of my beliefs come from my celtic heritage. I am so proud to celebrate my heritage this day and yet mornful that this day is used to celebrate a man that hated my faith...

It's a day of mixed feelings but I must say that I do use it to actively remember my family and celebrate the Irish in me!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have the same issues as you Sabrina.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• How do we celebrate our heritage and yet mourn for the loss of our ways.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Ok ladies... I'm not Irish and I am a Christian but maybe this little bit of info on St. Patrick will give you something in his life that he did to celebrate.   I underlined it.. basically he did help those who were enslaved and the poor that were taxed, and he introduced the Roman alpahet.

At Patrick's instance, the traditional laws of Ireland were codified. Patrick modified them to harmonize with Christian practice, and he mitigated the harsher ones, particularly those that dealt with slaves and taxation of the poor. He introduced the Roman alphabet.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2009