how do i get my 4yo 2 stop being such a smart ass?

My 4 year old likes to be funny. He always has a response for everything!! He repeats everything he hears and he doesn't seem to know the diference between and adult and his peers. It used to be cute when he was 1 and 2 yo, but now it's just annoying and embarassing. Just this morning, I picked him up from pre-school and he said "see you later, suckers! to his friend and his friends mother!! I told him that was not nice and told him that was disrespectful and made him appologize.How do I teach him to respect his elders? It's like he has to have the last word or something. Please help me before I'm on the next episode of "Snapped" LOL!!

ericadrian

Asked by ericadrian at 7:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow, that is really something for a 4 year old to be saying. My question is: Why are you allowing people to speak that way around him? If you aren't, then where could he be picking it up? I would deffintly let him know that it is unacceptable to speak like that. I would be even more concerned that he is speaking that way to his friends more so than other adults. What is he teaching his little pals. I'm sure that there parents wouldn't like them hanging around him and teaching there kids wrong doings. I wish you luck. 4 is a really hard age. My gets a bit out of hand sometimes as well, and I am hoping that five is much smoother. Come on June. LOL!

Anonymous

• Well,,let's see,,,,You should have never allowed him to do this at 1 & 2 years old. Now you need to keep on him..Everytime he says something wrong, tell him it's wrong to say those things.

Answer by louise2 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• oh no. i am in the same boat. hubby thought it was funny to tell him how to talk trash. he says every cocky smug thing that my hubby told him to. i get into it with him about it. he yells at him sometimes for it. i asked him how he expects him to know the difference. to him playing with friends is no different than wrestling with daddy. it was never appropriate. us women are the ones now who have to put an end to it. they think its acceptable cuz someone is laughing and encouraging it. i have been telling him its not allowed. it just started november of last year. i hope i caught it in time. mines 3 1/2
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• step up and become a better parent. you shouldn't have allowed the behavior in the first place if you didn't want him to be a disrepectful little brat. my kids never act like that, and they know if they did they'd get a whooping
    Anonymous

• Seriously, I thought I chose this website because it offered help...Anon, beat your children all you want...I know for sure that instilling the fear of God will certainly make them listen to you. Whether or not they will respect you, I don't know. Hopefully, they won't beat there spouses when they are older, since violence is clearly promoted in your household...
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 11:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2009