Would this bug you?

So we had to send our kids (kindergartners) to school all dressed up the other day. My son doesn't own anything like this - we're not people who have a lot of fancy places to go so I had to go out and buy him some dressy clothes. So off he goes, cute as can be - button down shirt, nice pants, tie, the works. ....So the following day I asked him about playing on the playground and if he enjoyed it a lot that day because the following day he hadn't been able to. Well he tells me that he DID get to play, and I double checked with him - "While you were wearing your suit?" And he answered in the affirmative.

Would it bug you that you sent your child to school all gussied up (at their request for a field trip )and the teachers were stupid enough to let them play outside in their good clothes? Grrrr!

The school doesn't have any good sense in regards to a lot of things and I just wondered if others would be bothered by this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Of course they are going to play outside, they are kids! If you didnt' want them to get anything on their clothing then you should have sent a change of clothes. And, you checked with him about playing outside and he said they did but you didn't notice their clothes were clean or dirty? I'm confused.
    Anonymous

• I remember when I was in elementary we had picture day so my mom spent the morning dressing me up & curling my hair. . . When she got the pictures she wasnt very happy. . . . We went to recess right before the pictures! So all her hard work & picture perfect princess didnt looks so sweet!
    So I think this is some thing all moms go through while their kids are in elementary.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Josef attends catholic school, and even though they do not wear uniforms this year (he is in K4) starting next year they do and they are not cheap, but still cheaper than buying Sunday clothes for school. They play HARD on the playground every day!

Personally I feel that kids are going to be kids and recess is a must, so no I am not bothered nor would I be if Josef came home dirty (which he does often!). The dirtier a kiddo is at the end of the day the more fun they had ;-) I can see where the children could have been able to change into different clothes-if the playground were muddy or something.

I guess we are just used to Josef getting dirty in his school clothes, it has never bothered me. I never put Josef in "play clothes" for school, but always "going out" clothes-even if they are from Target. I can't stand the cheap looking t-shirts and things like that.
    Josef1129

Answer by Josef1129 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Why didn't you just send another set of clothes so they were not messed up? Was he in those uncomfortable clothes all day?? How about lunch - would it have "bugged" you if he got something on his clothes from lunch? Should they not have eaten just in case he dropped something on his clothes?? I am a kindergarten teacher and what "bugs" me is how some parents are always looking to blame the teacher instead of trying to do something to help her! :(
    msalphabet

Answer by msalphabet at 7:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Okay, first of all he has HALF DAY - so I didn't know they'd have time to play (I thought if they came back to school they'd actually LEARN something inside) and didn't think that he'd need a change of clothes. (so no he wasn't stuck in those clothes all day.) Secondly, the issue was that he could have destroyed his new dress clothes - not that they were dirty or clean when he came home (which I wouldn't have noticed anyway since I didn't pick him up.) It's principle. Teachers don't pay for the clothes so I guess they don't care.
    Anonymous

• My students LEARN at recess as they do in the classroom. They learn social skills, how to solve problems on their own, creative imaginative play, and how to make healthy choices. Saying your child didn't LEARN anything is untrue.
    And your child could have destroyed their clothes getting out of your car, falling while walking to or from the trip, or any other number of things. The fact that you are so worried about their clothes just shows you are placing blame for what I am not sure. Again, if you were worried about new clothes being ruined, you should have sent a change.
    Saying the teacher didn't care is insulting. Your child's teacher cares a great deal to teach their students that nice clothes and good manners are expected. Perhaps someone may need to remind you of that.
    afdavis27

Answer by afdavis27 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It would not bug me. I've lived through many picture days, as the teacher, where I tell the kids to get some good fresh air, but stay clean. They generally do. I'm sure he was careful to not ruin the clothes. The teachers were not being STUPID. How rude. Recess is part of the day. Sheesh!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I really wished my students had recess. They are in third grade and get 20 minutes for lunch. It is a shame. They would greatly benefit from the physical activity. An change of clothes would be an option if you don't want their clothes ruined.
    skymcr

Answer by skymcr at 12:00 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You buy all of his other clothes...he plays in those. They cost money and can be destroyed.

He's in kindergarten for cryin' out loud! Of course there is going to be play time! He could have "destroyed" them playing inside too.

In answer to your question, though...no, it would not have bugged me that my sons played outside in their good clothes. I would have expected it, and I would have expected them to come home with some damage. (and been pleasantly surprised when they came home just dirty)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• No - teachers do not pay for your child's clothes but you will NEVER know all of the things that teachers do pay - out of pocket - for your child. Given the attitude you seem to have, I would say you wouldn't even care or appreciate it. I feel very sorry for your child's teacher if you express these things to her the way you have here. There is nothing wrong with telling your child's teacher you disagree with something that was done. This is your child - you have that right. However, the way you expressed it here - over a child being outside playing - was just rude and looking for a negative response. As a teacher - who loves and does many, many things for her students BECAUSE I do care - the way you asked your question offended and upset me.
    msalphabet

Answer by msalphabet at 6:10 AM on Mar. 13, 2009