What would you do if your husband or you were laid off, went to get a job, and found out that some kid just looking for a summer job got the job instead?

I'm mean seriously get a job to support your family or get a job to pay for a cellphone and video games... I just saw a story on this on the news tonight and it totally pissed me off. Some companies are actually favoring the young ones just out for a few months work that have no real responsibilities while my husband sits at home jobless and can't support his family. Um.. HELLOOOO?!?!?!

Sorry... how do you feel about this? Do you think it's right in the present state of the economy and with such a high unemployment rate right now?

Nunyabiznes

Asked by Nunyabiznes at 7:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you know the young kid's circumstances? Maybe he is getting that job for the summer to support them while he goes away to college.
    Anonymous

• This is just a general question. Not our personal experience, although my hubby is laid off and it would piss me off if those were the circumstances, but there is absolutely NOTHING where we are.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 7:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• p.s. it was a story on the news and teens just looking for summer jobs. no reasons were given, however I would think a grown man/woman with a family to support should absolutely take precidence (sp?) over a teen. JMO
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 7:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Maybe they are thinking: The kid will probably stay longer then the other person which is probably over qualified and will leave for a "better" job.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Hello? We're in a recession...of course they will hire someone who they can pay less. Maybe the younger kid interviewed better as well.
    Anonymous

• I worked since I was 14 so I see both sides. If a teen is ambitious enough to get out there and work they should not be faulted. If it is summer then the person can go interview in the late summer or fall.

Also an article may put it is for cell phones or wants but what if he is saving for college so that he doesn't end up where millions of autoworkers are ending up.

partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 7:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It's all about the damn money. They hire them so they can get away with paying cheaper. They know a more experienced man with some wisdom will know better.

My husband has been laid off work for 4 months now and guess who is still working? ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!!! They don't even have families to support!

Anonymous

• As a former human resources professional, I can give you an educated guess as to why they chose the kid over the seasoned adult. If this position was one that was short term for the company, they would choose the summer/temp employee.

If they thought they could get by paying a lower wage to the summer employee they would choose the kid.

Many times when reviewing a candidate's history we didn't even call them back for an interview if their salary history was too high.
    One thing you have to realize is that 99% of the companies out there are making BUSINESS decisions. As harsh as it sounds they are not concerned with your finances. They are looking for a good fit for the company's situation. And as illegal and/or immoral as it may be, they only consider your family circumstance if they think it will hurt the company.Like if a woman has a bunch of kids or if they discover you have a sick mate with a chronic illness, then
    tenacity

Answer by tenacity at 7:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• is about the only instance where the average company takes your family situation under consideration.
    Sorry I almost always run out of space.
    tenacity

Answer by tenacity at 7:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I can definantly understand your frustration. My husband was laid off and out of work for about 4 months. It was a rough and scary time for us. Where I live, jobs are scarce. But, we can't criticize young people for going out and getting a job. At least he's not counting on someone else to buy his video games. Ya know? Maybe he's trying to save for college. I understand what you are saying though. I hope your husband finds work very soon.
    nowhinning

Answer by nowhinning at 7:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2009