how to aviod the clinginess

We just broke my son(14months old) from nursing about a week ago and he is doing just fine. He never asks for it and doesnt seem to have a hard time without it, but ever since we stopped he is SUPER clingy. I play with this kid all day and hard, but he will never just go watch his favorite movie, or play on his own any more. How to I encourage his independence? I need mommy time to work and there is no one else but me to help him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Be patient and let him work through it. Start with short seperations like quick trips to get a glass of water or to the bathroom. The more love and comfort he feels, the more secure he feels, the sooner this will pass.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Dryer sheets. They'll reduce the static : )

ok ok. i use to tell my son if i was going to the bathroom etc just so he wouldnt stand by me when i was... busy. he would wait for me in another room. after that he backed off but he would just keep asking me if i had to pee every time i left a room. lol
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Well it sounds like he is just rrying to deal with the change and I would give it another week or 2 before trying anything major with him. IMHO it sounds like he is having an issue with not nursing, but the issue is not getting the breast, but rather not getting the closeness it gave him. Try just cuddling on the couch with him occasionally and see if this helps. My DS nursed until 18 months when I was 6 months pregnant and DD is still nursing at 21 months. DS still wanted to cuddle a lot after he refused nursing (I kept offereing for 1.5 weeks, but he kept refusing). I cuddled and he would be fine.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2009