What do you think the biggest misconception is about your religion or your beliefs?

I would love for everyone to do this without judging anyone elses post. This isn't a debate, just an opportunity to share what YOU feel common misconceptions are about your own belief/religion. If it gets ugly, I'll delete, although I hope it doesn't : )

I am a believer of God and of Jesus as my Savior and I think the biggest misconception about my faith are:
* That Christians are weak people.
* That Christians are hypocrits because they are not perfect.

deedee3849

Asked by deedee3849 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Belief in NOTHING. People think Atheists don't believe in anything. The fact of the matter is there are a great many things we may believe in, a god/deity just isn't one of them.
    For Example. Some atheists believe in reincarnation, others a form of heaven. Some believe in spirits, etc. others don't.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Christian here...and its that we are all the same or that we are supposed to be perfect.
    And I also don't like that people think all Athiests are heartles a$$holes. I don't agree with them but I know that you can't put everyone in the same category.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• As an Agnostic the biggest misconceptions about my "faith"
    * that I don't believe in a creator or an afterlife (we get confused w/ atheist a lot)
    * that I was raised w/a lack of a religious influence
    * that I don't have any moral fiber

I'm sure there are others, but really, that would get into indivdual conversations I've had with specific people. This list represents a larger generalization of misconceptions.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• .My favorite one was,I had someone come to me and said "I saw your pastor mowing his lawn ,and he had shorts and a tank top on" I looked at her ,and said are you serious,I better call the deacons and have a board meeting,I mean what the heck,it was 90% outside,because he is a pastor ,he should be mowing in a three peice suit geez.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• * that I don't have any moral fiber

Can we add that to the Atheist list as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I just have to point out to Krisit...that Atheists do not believe in anything! A true definition of an Atheist is that they don't believe in gods or that anything happens when you die. If you believe in an afterlife, then technically you would be Agnostic.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I don’t think that a lot of people think christians are hypocrites because they are not perfect, I think most of the time people think they are hypocrites because they are sometimes the more judgmental towards people who don’t believe the way they do.
    Anonymous

• One of the biggest misconceptions concerning Pagans is that we worship the devil. We don't believe in the devil to begin with.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• That the "Happy Buddha" is the actual Buddha.

You know, the Buddha you see all over the states that's got a big belly?

Yeah, that's not him!

That's the biggest one I've noticed. When I discuss Buddhism with people they always ask if that's really Buddha.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 8:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Pagan Witch here... I think the buggest misconception is that I worship the devil or that I'm evil...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2009