Is there really more crime today, or do we just hear more about it?

The good old days. Days when you could leave your doors unlocked and let your kids run free. Was there less crime a few decades ago? Or, does it just seem like there is more crime in today's society because we have television, internet, etc etc where we hear about and see every crime in every town in America? Could there have always been this much crime but, everyone was just in the dark?

nowhinning

Asked by nowhinning at 8:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe that in some ways, there's more crime, because there are more ways to commit the crimes. But, generally speaking, I don't think the "good old days" were really all that "good".

For example, there were a lot of domestic and sex crimes that were covered up, but now they aren't. That doesn't equate to there are more sex crimes these days, just that more people are speaking about it. Just as the advent of dna testing, etc, means that there's a better chance of conviction.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It depends on how you look at it.
    Are there more robberies, kidnappings, etc? Yes. There are more people and there is more crime.
    BUT there are actually fewer crimes per person now than in the last 25 to 30 years.

And then you throw in the fact that we have instant news from anywhere in the country, that all the 24 hour news stations are competing for the most viewers - of course we see more crime on TV than in years past.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i can recall my parents and other parents referring to the "boogey man" and told the kids in the neighborhood to stay with friends and not go anywhere alone. ( 1970 )
    who was the boogey man? something they made up to keep us safe or were they kindly referring to child killers and molesters and never wanted us kids to know kids back then were being stolen and killed.
    there is just as much crime as there ever was, you just here about it all now.
    Anonymous

• I think in ways crime has went up yes and of course more exposure causes it to seem really tremdous at times.
    As for leaving doors unlocked.I can do that.I lived in the suberbs of maryland the better part of my life so far.As lower income housing came in and more people crime went up and we had to keep it all locked up from then.I live in the south now in a rural area low crime.Also most here are gun owners for different reasons so everyone knows that.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• By the way don't get me wrong bad stuff happens here sometimes too but I generally feel pretty safe.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• There is a lot more crime now. The incidence of little children being kidnapped and murdered is way up. People are not taught responsibility for their actions anymore.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• a little of both IMO. I think because of all the laws we now have vs a few decades ago... you have more laws to break... thus higher crime rates... some of it is because of the media as well.... because it advertises how to do a lot of these crimes now..

but there was always crime..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The population has increased greatly, more people, more ACTS of crime, not necessarily more criminals. I think the actual horror of the actions has gotten significantly worse- rape, murder and kidnapping, baby torture, school shootings, etc are normalized. On line you can find many people who think pedophilia is normal. On TV you see people doind dispicable acts, and if your mind is already warped. . . well, you do the math.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:13 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• All good points ladies.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:52 AM on Mar. 13, 2009