Do you feel the need to "prove" yourself?

When you follow a religion that isn't "mainstream" (or don't follow one at all), do you feel the need to prove yourself? As an Agnostic, I always feel the need to "prove" that I'm just as intelligent, caring, and moral as those to claim a mainstream religion. In a way, I think that everyone feels the need to be the best example for thier religion that they can be...but, sometimes I feel like some of us need to go that extra step...which leads me to part 2...Do you feel embarrassed when someone who claims your religion shows themself to be the opposite of what you wish to portray?

I'm happy with who I am, thats no issue...Just a good thinking question for everyone....

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have nothing to prove. Some days I am a fine example of my beliefs (or lack of) others day I'm just as bad as the next hypocrite. I would hope though that on my bad days someone calls me out on my hypocrisy so I can amend it or make my position more clear, just as I might call out others on their own.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Honey, take a look at the most popular questions... do you think you need to prove yourself? LOL!!!
    Anonymous

• No, not really. I do feel like I need to proove that I know what I'm talking about half the time though... People think that because I'm pagan I must not know anything about Christianty. Meanwhile I do, I have studied it for years, and do have a clue... in fact I usually have more of one than most Christians do...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• No, I don't feel the need to prove myself. I understand what you mean though. I do have to emphasize that I believe in God if I let someone know I don't have a religion. So I guess that needs some defense. I understand SabrinaM too. Most automatically assume you don't know Christianity if you are not Christian. So that needs some defense too.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 8:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I do feel the need to prove that I am sincere with wanting to get to know others AND their beliefs. I totally got off on the wrong foot earlier.Do other religions support forgiveness??
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I've noticed alot of people who are newly atheist, pagan, Unitarian, even Christian among others...they are really angry at the religion they grew up with. That passes eventually and then we can really begin to explore our spiritual surroundings without that baggage. I just roll with it. I am who I am and anyone who needs proof of that needs to find themselves before they can find me :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 8:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Nope.. just try to live my life according to the bible and to be loving and Christ like. But if I'm having to prove myself and prove it.. then I'm doing something wrong.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Alize, Yes, I do think other religions support forgiveness (and those who don't practice one also) And those that don't are just as hypocritical as those they point thier own finger at....

One Love!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• No, I don't feel I have anything to 'prove.' In fact, I doubt that many people in real life even know what my beliefs are. I don't feel the need to talk about them. I have always loved the statement to 'Preach the gospel (or the Dharma, in my case) at all times.... use words when necessary.' If I am truly living my faith, the life I lead is the only proof required that my path is a positive one.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Do you feel embarrassed when someone who claims your religion shows themself to be the opposite of what you wish to portray?

There are two schools of my faith, folkish and universalist. It's not really that cut and dried, it's more of a sliding scale, but at the far end of folkish is white supremacists. They are to Heathenry as the KKK, Aryan Brotherhood and Westboro Baptists are to Christianity. Problem is, a few years ago that particular branch made some headlines by starting a huge lawsuit against the prison system - they wanted recognition for time to worship like other faiths. For too many people, that is the full extent of their knowledge of the faith. On one hand, I find their beliefs and interpretations of the Eddas disturbing and repulsive, and hate anyone assuming my faith and theirs are the same. On the other, it's not my place to -cont'd-
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2009