circ?

why do people think that circ your son is mutilation when they go out and get tattoos or cosmetic surgery is that not the same thing?

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 8:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Actually to the previous Anon that said her MD told her they don't give the babies anesthesia during a circ....TECHINICALLY thats true....they don't put the baby to sleep. BUT they DO numb the baby's penis with an injection of a numbing agent called lidocaine. Just like when they work on you at the dentists office (as an example)

YOU were trying to be misleading in saying that the baby isn't given anything for pain and thats just NOT TRUE!!! I've seen lots of circs and I can tell you it is now standard practice to medicate the babies to prevent circ pain and many babies SLEEP RIGHT THROUGH IT!

Circing is your personal choice as a parent, but DO NOT go around spreading false "facts" about it just to get a parent to follow what you want them too!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I'm a circing mom x2...but just from the other side I would think its b/c when they get tats or peircings (i also have these) or surgery that its thier decision as adults.....

But to each thier own..

One Love!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Oh boy...this is going to start a war...=)
    Anonymous

• It's not the same bc i have a choice as to if i want to get piercings or tattoos. The baby, however, does not have a choice.
    Not to mention that boys who are not circ'd have more nerves in that area so therefore feel more. Also, many studies show that it's cleaner; Despite the old myth that circ'ing is cleaner.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have a tat and pircing which I chose to do as a consenting adult.  I consider them adornments to my person. I would not be comfortable with any procedure (how ever minor it my be considered) that wasn't medically necessary.

I don't really consider it the same; I think comparing someone who is against circumcision to someone that would pierce an infants ears would be slightly more apropriate, JMO.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 8:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• "I don't really consider it the same; I think comparing someone who is against circumcision to someone that would pierce an infants ears would be slightly more apropriate, JMO."

I agree.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Because the child has no choice and piercing and tatoos don't remove body parts.

Personally, I think it's a personal choice. There are risks, just as in any surgery, and there are some benefits. Just like getting shots, you make your choice and take your chances:
    - your son may have no problems and live a long healthy life fully intact
    - your son may go on to develop some problems that may have been prevented if he wasn't intact
    - your son may have no probelms and live a long healthy life circumcised
    - your son may have complications from the procedure which can include losing his penis - rare but it does happen

Like I said, it's just like getting shots. You make your choice and take your chances. I don't bash moms for making the best decision they can for their child - even when that decision doesn't agree with mine. Why can't other moms do the same?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It IS the same thing. The difference is that it's a choice that I, as an adult, make for my own self and my own body. Forever changing a part of my child's body for NO DAMN REASON is just not the way to go.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I'm not Jewish is what the doctor told me! He said it makes no difference it was a religous thing and they don't give anastisia to them IT HURTS!!!!! YOU CAN'T COMPARE TATS TO A BABY WITH NO CHOICE BUT YOURS!
    Anonymous

• Circumcision is removing a part of a child that he does not consent to removing. You consent to having a tattoo or piercing. And it is a form of mutiliation because the foreskin is more than a flap of skin. It is taking a part of someone's body they cannot grow back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Mar. 13, 2009