OUR GRANDBABY BOY HAS JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DOWNS. HE IS ONLY ONE WEEK OLD. COULD THE TEST BE WRONG. PLEASE HELP US.

WE CAN'T QUIT CRYING, HE LOOKS SO NORMAL.

nana3513

Asked by nana3513 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Health

• That's kind of an insult. "He looks so normal". Are you saying people with Down's don't look "normal"?
    Anonymous

• i would have it done again and by a second doctor just to make sure
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It could be wrong. ...But it also is probably right. Out of all the developmental delays a child can have Down Syndrome is probably amongst the easiest to diagnose.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i do agree with nakita though. Deffinantly get a second opioinion.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• He IS "normal." No need to cry. He can have a wonderful life just like anyone else.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Define "normal". I feel that's kind of insulting as well.

Get a second opinion, but if they did a genetic test...unless they totally mixed up samples, it's probably right.

A special needs child, while upsetting at first, is not the worst thing in life. I have three.
    Anonymous

• I would get a second opinion. My nephew has downs and even though he wasnt walking or talking or hitting any of his milestones the drs wouldnt diagnose him until he was three. It just surprises me that they would have diagnosed him so early.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• First get a second opinion. Second rejoice in the beautiful little baby boy God has given you to spoil as your grandchild. I can tell you there are thousands of women around the globe who weep each night that they can not concieve a child or carry a child to term and the mothers and fathers of those women who greive the lack of grandchildren. As the mother of a special needs child I know that sickness can be a struggle but I remind myself each day of the battle I fought tooth adn nail to bring my son in to this world and the even greater battle I have fought to keep him alive and through hundreds of doctors visits across the state I am grateful for the imperfectly perfect child God has given to me. And finally as a former personal care worker who worked heavily with ds clients I can tell you that they are very capable of living a "normal" life with help at times perhaps but normal just the same. They live, they love cont
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• and boy do they love, they laugh, they dance, and even sing, Please do not weep over this diagnosis your grandson is a beautiful beautiful gift "imperfections" and all he needs your love and support, and above all NO ONES pity. Everything will more than fine. I promise
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• They thought my grandson had it too but he doesn't. They can be wrong. Get a second opinion.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009