As a child did you feel like you were forced to go to church?

Many people I know personally say that as children they felt forced to go to church.So when they were adults they chose not to pursue a religion on their own.Is this the case with you too?I am reading and trying to understand everyone.After a break I took earlier.I came to the conclusion that some were right on certain levels.Can we start over?I see you are passionate in your view's. As I am and I can RESPECT that.I am new here and now I see the error of my ways.Truly.

Alize26

Asked by Alize26 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think now that people are no longer children. They would have a different view .If they went willingly to church.Willingly got to know God on a personal level.
    Anonymous

• I don't FEEL like I was forced to attend "church" (really the Kingdom Hall), I WAS FORCED, even when my father, who was the only parent that imparted religious instruction, did not attend.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 8:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Some days I did. It really was dependent on the church. I moved around a LOT as a child thanks to being in a Military family. Some churches I liked more than others. The ones I didn't like I didn't want to go to. I'm not sure what it was that made me dislike them. It may have been the general "feel" of them, it may have been my mom talking to other members for 2 hours after the service let out.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• no because i never went
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yeah I was forced to go and I haven't been back since, nor will I. Please don't tell me the devil is going to get me, there is no devil in my world:) Thanks.
    Anonymous

• Only when I wanted to watch Davey and Goliath on Sunday mornings! I really didn't mind going to church, it just would've been nice if I could've watch the show first!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 8:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yes, very much so. I feel that if Church of any religion is crammed down someones throat it has a bad effect on us as we get older...
    Anonymous

•     I  was not 'forced' to go to church. I wanted to go because I was raised by passionate Christian parents. They were active in church and my mom taught me everything she believes as a Christian. I never resented it and never will resent going to church as a kid. My mom was the only non hypocritical Christian I ever met. I trusted every idea/concept instilled in me as a kid. I still trust a huge deal of it but as I became an adult and the real world became more apparent and I realized not everything is true in the Bible (IMO) and began to study different things to understand the world more, why we are here etc. I also have experienced church my whole life and know that it is a huge charade and feel God really has nothing to do with church(IMO), it is all man showing off.

I was defensive in your earlier posts but never upset or offended. I am glad you feel differently now!

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 8:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have wonderful memories of going to church as a child. As a teenager we had a very active youth group, in fact it was "the" place to be on Wednesday night. Church camp, potlucks, bible, vacation bible school. One of the greatest things my single Mom did was take us to church. My faith is a very important part of my life.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Not forced so much as I went to appease my parents. I used to meditate during the service. I really hate conflict. I figured that way, they would be happy and I can believe as I choose in my heart. No one can control my thoughts and feelings but me.
    Anonymous