tonsils and adenoids?

ok so i took my 3 yr old son to his ent appt today and come to find out his adenoids and tonsils are extremely enlarged and need to come out next week- i know about wuts gonna happen and wut to expect and everything but are there any veterans here that have gone through this with their kids or themselves that can give me a little advice to survive this? Like whats most soothing to give to eat and drink? and how else can i make my son comfortable? thanks- any help is greatly appreciated

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had mine taken out when I was like 5. No red foods (then you can't tell if the throat is bleeding) lots of pudding, yogurt, and ice cream. I laid around on the couch for a few days and was fine.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Just make sure he's getting liquids afterwards. Extremely cold things don't feel good, as well as hot things. Salty stuff seemed to bother him too. His breath is gonna smell terrible for 2 weeks or more....like cow manure....lol. The first day, my son slept all day. The next day he was whiny and sore. Jello was kinda hard to swallow. Popsicles are good because you suck on them rather than swallow large bites of cold stuff. Low sodium broth seemed to be what he liked after the 2nd or 3rd day. Sorry if this is jumbled....lol. Just typing as I think. If he gets a fever make sure you call your doc....that's about all I can think of right now. If you have more specific questions, you can PM me if you want. Good luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• my son had his took out when he was 9 hes 10 now. wasnt really a big deal to him after the fact. he was up playing the day after, and ate a lot of ice cream and soup
    momof3102

Answer by momof3102 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• lots and lots of pudding! lol, no but the above answers are great, avoid hot and cold foods as those can hurt a fresh incision. mashed potatoes, jello, smoothies, soup and beware orange juice....ouch! If there are stitches, be extra careful not to offer anything crunchy or sticky........always bad news for stitches!

Take a temp periodically, monitor the site for swelling (a little swelling is normal), oozing, bleeding.

he will feel so much better, my daughter had this problem but we were able to find the cause of the inflammation and avoid surgery....but still, i know what its like! poor babies throats hurt, hard to talk and even harder to hear you.

Good luck to your little one!
    haileys-mama

Answer by haileys-mama at 11:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• ice cream is the best thing it will keep the swelling down and soothe his throat
    jlb25823

Answer by jlb25823 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2009