should i be worried?

My almost 8yr old dd was sent to the princepals office today. She had wrote with pencil on the wall that some kids in her class where stupid. She said that she did it because one of the girls drew a pic of her and wrote that she was a looser. I grounded her for tonight what alse should i do?

jessejames2954

Asked by jessejames2954 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If she's not doing these things all the time, I would leave it at that. On the other hand, if you ground her, are you just sending her to her room? Has she got a TV, books, toys, computer, game system in her room? Sending my son to his room is not much of a punishment really. I always take away a privledge like my 8yos nintendo DS or bike. That usually is enough to send him the message! Find out what she really really loves and take it away when her behavior is not up to family standards. Sounds like you are a good mom who is concerned about her girl :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 8:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I would also touch on the fact that if she didn't like being called a loser, she should consider how the other kids were affected by her "stupid" comment about them. Most kids at that age are still sweet and sensitive and I'm sure she won't like that she may have made someone else sad. I wouldn't be too worried about it if that's the first time it's happened. Monkey see monkey do.
    AngelaSue1979

Answer by AngelaSue1979 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I would have her go to school and clean up the mess she made. Then I would ask her what provoked this. If she is being bullied, this may have been a reaction out of frustration. Her choices should not be excused, but understanding why she did what she did, then giving her other options might be needed. Good luck.
    afdavis27

Answer by afdavis27 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• she may be having problems with kids calling her names im going through the same thing. t talked to the teacher and let her know what was going on and to keep a look out for kids picking on her
    jlb25823

Answer by jlb25823 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2009