Divorce lawyer is ready to start the process but....

she asked me if I will pursue spousal maintenance? I want to, but I don't know the eligibility for that. My hubby was abusive, verbal and physical, and forced me to leave. His anger was aggravated by his alcohol abuse. He was supporting me financially before I left him and sought shelter. We were married from fall 06. I've been through a lot, including living in 3 shelters. Can I receive financial support from him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• Most states require a longer length of marriage to be able to receive it. You could try www.womenslaw.org and link to KNOW THE LAW and see if they have that info for your state or go to www.avvo.com (2 v's not a w) and ask a lawyer for free. I do agree that you should have asked the attorney when she asked if you wanted it. If she knew how long you were married though then maybe she asked it bc you are eligible. I'm sure she'd tell you if you call.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Depends on the state you're in. Some states require you to be married a certain amount of time before you qualify. Since he was abusive, take him for everything you can get! You deserve it for putting up with it!
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If it was me i would get away and never look back. If you want financial support that is just a way he'll always be able to find you.Do you want that?Get a new life and job.Just my opinion.

Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It wouldn't hurt to try. The worst that can happen is the judge say no.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You should have asked her that. She knows the answer and you are paying her to answer your questions yet you came here to ask strangers who have no clue about your state laws and the eligibility requirements. If you wont' ask her then look them up online.
    Anonymous

• The lawyer asked me via email. She hasn't spoken with me yet. I will ask her as there's no harm in that but I also thought there was no harm in asking you.
    Anonymous