am i just waisting my prenatal vitamins becuse i take them but just throw up right after every time should i juust take more or just give up they wont stay down!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With all 4 of my pregnancies I suffered from hypernemesis which is basically all vomiting all the time. Never stops. 24/7. I would even vomit while I was still asleep! My husband would hear me start to wretch and roll me over so I would puke on the floor. I have been on Zofran with all my pregnancies and almost went on in home IVs with my first pregnancy. I understand. This is not your run of the mill "morning sickness". My doctor has always recommended the Flintstone vitamins for me. Try them. If you can't keep those down, then don't stress about it. You can only do what you can do. This is my fourth pregnancy and my FIRST one that I'm actually going to be able to take any vitamins at all. All my children have turned out wonderfully healthy. So, do the best to keep down what you CAN keep down and don't fret about the rest. Worrying about keeping down your vitamins isn't going to make you any less sick.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 9:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Try taking a Flintstones vitamin or take it before going to bed.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I was told with both of my pregnacys to take my vitamins like 5-10 minutes before I was going to goto bed with a glass of water...and it helped me
    TalindasMommy

Answer by TalindasMommy at 9:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You should try switching to another prenatal vitamin and/or try taking them at a different time. Maybe after a satisfying meal when you don't feel queesy. I tried about 3 different brands before one didnt make me sick. But they won't go to waste. You can switch back once you are past the sick stage or post partum.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• are you eating with them?

my dr suggested taking them about 10minutes after i finished a meal, and that really helped me out a lot. he said that the enzymes in my stomach were already busy breaking down substance, and would be more likely to get some of the vitamin into my blood stream, even if i couldn't keep 'em down.

if not, try flintstones, they seem to be pretty popular with the CM's.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Mine made me nauseous too... but what my sis told me to do was break them in half, and take 1/2 in the a.m., and one in the p.m. That reduced their "punch" and I didn't throw them up anymore. You could try that.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 9:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• 1/2 in the pm as well, I mean
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 9:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• but no ive tried several different times im always sick its not just morning sickness even tho they call it that it wont stop when i swallow anything it just doesnt stay down
    Anonymous

• Try kids vitamins with iron. They aren't as harsh on your stomach. Take them and eat a few saltines to try to keep them down. Drinking warm (not steaming hot) ginger tea is good for nausea. Maybe try sucking on peppermint too that helps. GL!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 9:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009