Would you be annoyed?

At playgroup today, where most of the parents are in their mid-twenties to thirties and I'm 21, a mother said to me, "I can't decide if you're the nanny or not." I answered, "Nope, I'm the mom." This lady looked really surprised and said, "Oh, wow, I didn't expect that!" I was annoyed, to say the least. Would you be?

Lizzie_Angus

Asked by Lizzie_Angus at 9:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, darlin, don't be annoyed. Wait until you are the mom and they mistake you for the grandma :) THAT would be annoying! LOL :)
    msalphabet

Answer by msalphabet at 9:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Did she mean you looked old? I think she did it on purpose. No one who was trying to be nice would say that.
    Anonymous

• Take it as a compliment that u look young!;)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yes, I'd be annoyed. I'm not old or young compared to the average Mom -- I'm going on 30 with 2 kids -- but I've always looked young for my age. When I was pregnant with my first at 27 I got strange looks. When I was shopping for my wedding dress at 25 I was told I was too young to be getting married, and when I tried to buy a beer at 28 at the ball park, the 18 year old at the concession stand told me she thought I was 15. What annoys me isn't that they're trying to guess the age and failing miserably -- it's the judgment behind it all. She probably didn't mean much by it, but it's crappy to judge people like that.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Yes. I hate when people just take liberties with me. I am short and they like to act like I am a child because I am small. One lady even tried to pick me up once!!! I would never walk up to a person and point something out and make such a big deal about it. She was rude. Brush it off.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think she was just saying you look young. I've had an older lady I didn't know and had never seen in my life come up to me and my son and ask if he was mine. When I told her yes she then asked me how old I was, when I told her 20 she said "oh well you look like you're 16". Then she had to tell me all about how her 16 year old granddaughter just had a baby and how bad it is that young teens are having babies and that her granddaughter is doing an ok job at parenting. I'm sure if I had told her I was 16 I would've gotten an earful. I did tell her I was 18 when he was born and she had no response to that though.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 10:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009