Who on here has actually tried castor oil to induce labor?

I've heard good and bad responses. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm starting to get desperate. Even from the bad things I've heard it doesn't seem to be anything that harms the baby, just makes you pretty sick with no labor results. All of the older women I have talked to suggest it and swear by it, but obviously we know not every "old wive's tale" should be practiced. So has anyone actually tried it and what were your results?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I did with baby #2. It didn't work for me, and it didn't even do what it was supposed to, I didn't go to the bathroom once, luckily. I did have contractions for about 2 hours, but they went away and at my Dr apt the next day I hadn't dilated. I did talk to one lady that said midwives who suggest it use different herbs with it also so that it works better, but I have no idea what they are. I have heard good stories about it too. But I didnt have any luck.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Sure go ahead, make your baby come when it's not supposed to for your own selfish reasons and in the mean time you can crap all over yourself and risk your baby doing so in utero and inhaling it!

Anonymous

• Why are you desperate? How far along are you?
    Anonymous

• It can cause harm to the baby... it can cause them to have a bowel movement before they are born... not good at all.
    Anonymous

• The rumor about the bowel movement by the baby before birth, is not entirely true. It happened one time.. and no one knows if it was actually the castor oil that did it, so please read up on your facts.

To the first commenter.. Stop bashing.. You have no idea how far along she is, so why didn't you keep your comment to yourself.

I have tried castor oil. It did absolutely NOTHING for me, but make me end up on the toilet for a few hours. It will not do anything to progress labor if your body isn't ready for it.

Same with most other herbs and old wives tales.

I'm 41 weeks and with the ok from my OB.. i have been able to try many herbal treatments, i have a induction date set for next week, if she doesn't come before then.

I would suggest if you aren't near your due date, that you wait till you are at least 39 weeks or more.

Also what works for some people.. doesn't always work for everyone else..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes, I'm 40 weeks already and due to be induced in less than a week if baby doesn't come naturally. I'd much rather try something like this, if it indeed is not harmful to baby, than have a ton of Pitocin pumped through me to get the same possible result. Not being offensive to anyone who has faced induction, I very well may be too, it's just not what I'm hoping for by any means.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 13, 2009