Infant Car Seats

the max length on mine says 29"...my son is pushing 24 and already looks too long for his. at what point do you update to the next level seat...what IS the next level seat, and when did you switch to a front facing seat?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is fine as long as he as 1 inch of shell above his head... and meets the weight limits. It's fine if he feet are over. The next step would be a convertible seat. Goods ones would be: Britax, the First years True Fit and Evenflo Triumph advance.
    I haven't turned my son around yet (he's only 8 months) but he will STAY rear facing until he is 35 lbs... so until he is 3 years I hope. (Look into exteneded rear facing)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My son out grew his car seat at 9months i bought him at big car seat thats for 7-100pounds. They make the big car seat for rear facing. never have your baby face forward until they are a year old, even if they are the right weight for forward facing. hope this helped
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 9:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• The next seat is called a convertible care seat. It converts from front to rear facing and most of them are from 4 lbs to 100 lbs or something like that. You can legally turn them around at 20 lbs AND 1 year old. There are a lot of moms that say that's not long enough and to wait for 35 lbs. But every kid is different. My nephew is 5 years-old and only weighs 28 lbs. I think it would be ridiculous to make him sit rear facing still. Look in to it and make your own decision.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Graco is a good brand as well. When we got my daughter her infant seat, I found out later that the Graco that we bought was rated number three in safety. The top two were way out of my price range anyway.

My daughter was 18 months when she weighed enough to face forward and she was almost too long for her infant seat, but we made it and bought another Graco.

As long as your son has a bit of leg room you should be okay, but you can always go with a convertible car seat if you think he will outgrow the infant seat before he reaches the correct weight and age.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 9:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If he's a year and 20 lbs, feel free to turn him around. My daughter HATED being in the car rear facing, and has loved it ever since. They do say they're safer rear facing and to leave them as long as possible, but as long as they meet those 2 requirements it's fine.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• He stays in the infant seat til the top of his ears go past the top. After that, get a convertible seat. Britax or Sunshine Kids Radian are great brands to choose from. You should keep him rear facing til 35lbs, no matter the age. Rear facing is always safest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8
    http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• You can get a convertible seat. Your baby NEEDS to stay rear facing as long as possible though. It is sooooo much safer. My car seat (Britax Boulevard CS) can stay rear facing until the child is 35 lbs or he's gotten so tall that there isn't at least an inch of car seat shell above his head. Then they can be switched around. Some people switch their babies forward when their baby is 1 year and 20 lbs, but that is the BARE MINIMUM. Children who are forward facing are 75% more likely to have severe injuries or to die in a car accident when compared to rear facing children. My son's safety is my top priority, so he will stay rear facing until he reaches the weight/height max for the seat. Look at this site: http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4209/Car_Seat_Safety:_Rear-facing_is_safest.htm

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• thank you ladies for all your help! I didn't know about the weights or times for front facing, I did know it was safer to stay in the rear facing as long as possible. Thank you so much!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have recently become a huge advocate for rear facing as LONG as possible after watching several youtube videos about it....I suggest you go to youtube OP and search for extended rear facing carseat videos and watch them!!! It made a believer out of me and I even turned my 3 year old back to rear facing and will not turn my 5 month old for as long as we possibly can hold off on it!
    My 7 year old is also still in a 5 point harness booster seat!
    Please research this more!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:18 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Stay away from the youtube videos. There not reliable sources of information.

Staying rear facing is the safest choice. That's a given.

You can put him in a convertible (rear-facing) at any point as long as he's between 5-35lbs. (the "usual" weight limits) Before turning forward, he should be at LEAST a year and at LEAST 20lbs.

There are height limits for a reason. If the top of his ears are reaching the top of the shell, he is definitely TOO TALL. There is the "one inch of shell" rule (one inch above the top of the head) but not all manufacturers accept that rule for their infant carriers. The one we had did NOT go by that rule. I called them and was told if something happened and the baby was longer than the height limit....even if there was one inch above their head...they could not be held liable for anything having to do with the seat.

My youngest was in a convertible from birth.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:43 AM on Mar. 13, 2009