do you think the State should be able to take these kids?

I have to say, in this case, I really do hope the State is able to take the kids. Generally, even if I think the name is incredibly stupid, I respect a parent's right to name them what they want. But in THIS case, I think the names are cruel and could be considered emotional and psychological abuse, and that by giving them these names, they are creating a hateful and unsafe home environment.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20090312/Hitler.Cake/

sailorwifenmom

Asked by sailorwifenmom at 10:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I do not think you realize .. think about it, what would happen to those kids when they get older and kids learn about the holocaust. I think it was sick and cruel to name them names they would hurt them later. I think instead of taking them away they should order name changes. I cannot imagine being that cruel to my children and naming them something like that. So sad! I feel for the kids more than the parents!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• By the way, in case anyone can't get the link to work, or doesn't feel like looking it up but is curious about what the names are, here's what they named their kids

the 3 yr old son - Adolph Hitler Campbell, and his sisters are named JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell.

I think this is disgusting. Yes, unfortunately, people have the right to give their kids stupid names, but this goes beyond stupid, this is wrong on so many levels! Because you know the twisted beliefs that those kids are being taught to go along with those names, and even if they (the kids) do want to break free of that hatred, how can they possibly have even close to a semblance of a normal life with names like that??

This proves that some people should not reproduce - EVER!

What do you all think - does this go to far, or do they have the right to burden these kids with those names?

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• They should not be taken away because of their names. If the kids are being provided for and are not being abused, they don't have any reason to take them away. Being Nazis and questioning the holocaust are not reasons to take kids away either. If we start doing this to people simply because of their views, then this is not a free country anymore.

I would want to see the whole reason these kids were taken away. There could have been some mental abuse or something.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• This state DID take them away a few weeks to a few months after the cake incident. this is old news. http://www.dlisted.com/node/30299?page=2
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 10:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• taking kids away because of what they were named that is BS!!!!!!!!!!! I would fin sue the state. UGH that just boils my blood.
    Anonymous

• most states have to have SOME sign of abuse/poor living conditions in order to take children out of a home..they will not remove children based on names.. all the states I have been in, they actually set up a nice visit with the family before they take the children out of the home(unless there are OBVIOUS signs of abuse, such as broken bones, poorly kept house, etc..
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 11:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Shaneagle,

That's the point I was trying to make when I said it's cruel.

I didn't realize it was old news - it was listed in Comcast's in the news section.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• There has to be something else going on, You can't say a name is psychological abuse and take the kids out of the home.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 12:24 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I believe there was more to the case than simply the names.. the questions you really have to ask..
    were the kids at risk, due to the publicity of their names, to people making threats agains the children?
    Were the parents abusive at home?
    Where the parents participating in other questionable actions?
    these are all things I'm sure the court has gone over, before making their decision.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:07 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The news story said that there was also allegations of abuse made by the neighbors. The father was also quoted as saying that there were allegations made by his ex that he was violent with her, or something along those lines. I don't know if it was that he supposedly abused her when they were together (which, to be fair, she should have reported then, but could go to his history, I would think), or, if it was something that was supposed to have currently occurred. (Like he recently did something to her, after she was his ex...)

I still think this is wrong. I believe that you should be able to name your kids what you want, but things like this are inflammatory and are going to cause nothing but problems for these kids.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:51 AM on Mar. 13, 2009