My 5 year old has turned into a terror

My 5 year old girl has always been really well behaved, but very passive. In the last 2 weeks she has become really snotty AND she has started hurting her friends (punching, pulling chairs out, poking in eyes). She does not give a reason, she does not even have remorse. We have tried punishment, we have tried reward. Nothing seems to work. I am at a loss.

madzachmom

Asked by madzachmom at 10:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is something going on that is not quite right with her. Try talking to her to see if someone has been picking on her recently or calling her names. She may be taking her frustrations out on others for what someone is doing to her.

It could just be a phase. Some children do push the boundaries for a while to test the limits. They want to know what they can get away with and what they can't. It may just be that normal "testing phase" you are seeing.

I hate to mention it, but there is also the possibility that there are worse issues at hand. Someone may be abusing her, and she may be lashing out because of it.

The only way to find out for sure is to talk to her.
    6KidzMommie

Answer by 6KidzMommie at 12:19 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• A lot of kids' personalities change as soon as they get in school. They see other kids act that way, and they think that's how they are supposed to act. Or perhaps she sees a kid who is very cool and popular acting that way, or the kid may just be getting a lot of attention for it. I'd talk to her - face to face - and let her know that you are worried that her personality has changed recently, and that you don't like it. You need to put your expectations out in the open, and explain some reasonable consequences if things don't improve.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 7:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2009