Is it ok in your own OP to allow, family or friends to claim your children on tax returns. And give you money for it?

Ive heard of people doing this. What do you think about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ya get your butt caught,and you're going to jail,this is illegal ,it is called tax fraud..
    Anonymous

• If they are not supporting the child they can not claim them. It is fraudulent and wrong. My mother takes care of my nephew and doesn't get any money from my brother so she claims him. To do it with out supporting the child is wrong.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Im pretty sure although this is ilegal... I bet you its done more often then you realize. I had my childs father claim her on his. She never lived with him and wasnt paying any child support! He messed up my refund and I had to go back later and add my child.
    Anonymous

• Later ,when you can claim them and you do, then a red flag goes up and the IRS will be spending the night at your house auditing you. lol
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• my mom claimed my son one year BUT we lived with her for most of the year.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• thats illegal and stealing imo
    Anonymous

• Gigi did you miss something?
    Anonymous

• Hope you or someone you know hasn't done it,lol My ex was just audited (sp?) because of that and he's in big trouble.... Sux to be him,lol
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Depending on the situation it is NOT illegal. I had my ex claim my children this year even though he did not pay child support or live with them. I will be getting the money though since he is so far behind on his child support.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family-law/non-custodial-parents-rights-claim-child-tax-time-168912.html
    unique_puzzle

Answer by unique_puzzle at 10:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Forgot to add, I am not currently working so I will NOT be claiming them, and I had to sign a form stating that I would NOT claim them this year.
    unique_puzzle

Answer by unique_puzzle at 10:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2009