How do I potty train a very stubborn child?

Whenever I suggest she try to go on the potty she refuses. It all has to be 100% her idea. If she feels like I am pushing her in any way she wants nothing to do with it. I can never sit her on the potty, she'll freak out. She has done it several times in one day but went back to going in her diaper. I just feel like it's going to be so challenging with her. Maybe she's lazy or can tell I want her to do it so she doesn't want to anymore, but how can I get her to want to do it since it always has to be her decision? Should I offer a reward? Like an m&m each time she goes. Telling her big girls go on the potty chair doesn't seem to be getting through to her. I put her in underwear one day and she peed everywhere and we have a lot of carpet so that's out until the summer when we can be outside. I really need advice since all the other advice doesn't apply to her since she's so strong-willed.

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 10:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What i did I played a game with them my grandaughters. I say I have to go to the potty to go potty and when they came in I but them on the potty and sit there with them for a while. If they fight you then you let them up and say well you try. Aunt ?? or mom went to potty maybe next time you can go with me and you can get something when you go. then if they go potty you can give them pennys everytime they go pee and boop you can give them dime or a nickle. It works. I did it on both of my granddaughter. I have one more to go so far.
    Betty48

Answer by Betty48 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2009