Breast pumping

I have been pumping for 5 1/2 months now. Since my second AF has started I am getting very little milk daily. About 3 oz total. So I say it and it makes two days to make 1 six oz bottle..Is this even worth my time or should I just stop?

amber325

Asked by amber325 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly I'm not sure what to tell you, because I've had lots of pumping troubles. But have you tried posting on the CafeMom "breast feeding moms forum"? Those women know their stuff. I've gotten lots of great advice there.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• any amount of breast milk is worth it. but the best way to get milk out is direct nursing.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I found my milk would drop during AF too.... I take a supplement called More Milk Plus and drink extra water and it has helped. My supply returns to normal after AF is gone. OR you could call your OB and ask for a medication called Reglan, my friend is on it and says it's the BEST! She also had a drastic drop in her supply and the supplements weren't helping her and Reglan worked great for her.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It's totally worth it. :) Breast milk is so good for your baby. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You can also try drinking mother's milk tea (they sell it at most grocery stores and health food stores) and eating real (not instant) oatmeal. Those things can help boost your supply.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Why are you pumping to begin with? Is there a reason you're not nursing? The baby gives better stimulation than a pump and will help increase your milk supply better than anything else.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I'm not trying to be trivial but you should drink enough water to quench thirst only, when breast feeding. Too much water (by rule, drinking when you're not thirsty) can reduce your milk supply. Further information can be found at What to Expect, The First Year as well as this BFing website (or googling the topic). I just wanted to clarify before anyone misunderstood and started guzzling water every day.

I would say it is still worth it. I would let the baby nurse until he/she wasn't getting any more out of the breasts and then suppliment the rest with whatever foods he/she is eating and formula. I would highly suggest checking out the BFing group here on CM for advice!

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have been taking Fenugreek and it's helpng.....and some people on here don't realize that people need to pump b/c of work or whatever...I have to pump when I work. My supply has been decreasing also, but I just give her what I can and supplement if I don't get enough. Good luck momma! You're doing a good job.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• check your pump parts! even the slightest hole or tear some where will drastically effect how much you pump. i went thru this a few weeks ago with my pump (lansinoh double electric, love it!). i was getting hardly anything and couldn't figure out why. i replaced a valve that was torn and it's back to normal. i'm glad i did it too, because before i couldn't tell. the suction felt the same and everything.
    hmb84

Answer by hmb84 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• hmb84...good to know. i have the same pump and love it but it seems to be getting less and less. ill have to check it out.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have the same problem but I figure any breast milk is better than none at all. Especially when your sick because baby get antibodies against what mommy has. I thas helped my baby avoid colds and the flu.
    faerymommie

Answer by faerymommie at 12:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2009