Introducing baby cereal

We're starting the baby cereal with formula. Should I give him formula and cereal at every feeding? or like three times a day and just formula for the other times? any advice is appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i gave it to mine in bottle with milk, in the morning, and at night before bed.good luck
    momof3102

Answer by momof3102 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I only give my son food during dinner time. Only cuz I feel bad that we're not including him and he STARES at us intently the WHOLE time....so only dinner. He doesn't NEED to eat food, but he likes it. So whatever you think is the best.....It's really up to you and your baby....
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 11:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Usually when you start out, you only start by giving a little bit at one meal. Some moms give an ounce of cereal at bedtime.

At my son's 4 month check-up my doctor is going to go over cereal with me and when to give it and how much. You can always ask your doctor to do the same. It's good to get advice from a knowledgeble individual who knows your child personally.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i think it really depends on the age of the baby. of course if you are talking about a 4 month old, i would not put cerel in every bottle. maybe just a good night bottle. then when it is about five months or so you can give it a breakfast and night. then so on and so forth as the baby gets older you can give more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• How old is your little one is my first question....all your baby needs nutrition wise is breastmilk or formula until age one and its best to wait to start solids until 6 months.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:01 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The cereal has no nutritional value. It is used as a segue into eating solids simply because it holds little risks of allergic reaction.

To start out you should only do it once a day and get him used to it. By the time he is eating 3 times a day, you'll probably have switched to something more enjoyable (sweet potatoes, bananas).

Never put it in the bottle. The only reason to have rice cereal is to learn how to eat. They learn nothing from having it in a bottle obviously, except how to get filled up with needless calories.

good luck =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Make up a normal bottle of formula, feed your little one half of it, then the cereal, then the other half of the bottle.

Good luck!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 13, 2009