• In the Spotlight:

should i wake her up to feed?

my daughter ate for just about 10 min (breastfeeding) and then spit my nipple out and fell asleep... shes out like a light

should i try to wake her up to feed her more? or let her wake up on her own when she is hungrY?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DONT WAKE HER!! At least, I wouldn't. What if she gets all crabby and won't go back to sleep. I wouldn't risk it. lol.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 11:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• LOL
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• As a general rule, no. If she's a brand new newborn, you can wake her up in 3 hours if she hasn't woken up on her own yet.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• how old? I'm assuming pretty new to the world, (congrats!) you should absolutely wake her up if you are breastfeeding. it's one of the hardest things you'll have to do, not only will she be gorgeous sleeping, but she'll be pretty peeved if you do also. But if you're bf, then you need her to nurse to encourage flow for her. My son fell asleep EVERY single time at the breast, and it made it really hard to keep up my supply because he never ate his fill before falling asleep. Also, if she's asleep and you feel your milk come down, you should wake her up then also. Good luck, and congrats on doing a WONDERFUL thing for your baby!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• For newborns, you should wake them up to feed every 4 hours. For older babies, let 'em sleep!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• my advice came from a breastfeeding specialist at a hospital where I live, I asked the same question
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• shes almost a month... and she usually always stays awake and eats a LOT , just this time she fell asleep
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My DD is 6 months and does the same thing..when she spits it out I put her back down. When she was just born I woke her every 2 hours to feed her. If it was this time then just let it go...she's a little older so maybe she wants to sleep a little more.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I would wake her after 4 hours. You could also try to dream feed... where you offer your breast while they are asleep.. often time they will nurse!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• a rule of thumb is to wake you baby every 4 hours to eat, but i didn't with my first child and he is fine. but with my second child i had to breast feed so i had to wake her every three hour and feed her, because she was a preme. but know she is 4 months and on soy milk i let her tell me when she is ready to eat. lots for luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 13, 2009