How much is too much tv?

My son is has a play pin in the living room and when either my husband or i are doing house work or homework, we will put on sesame street/elmos world or micke mouse club house...you know mostly morning cartoons. He probably watches a good 2 1/2 hour of tv in one day. (Not all at once) Is that too much? What would you recommend?

Dani-Girl

Asked by Dani-Girl at 11:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think thats WAYY to much for a little 1 or 2 year old..

i would say a half hour show MAYBE 2 half hour shows at the most
    Anonymous

• Well, they say that children under 2 shouldn't watch TV at all----But mine child watches TV too so I'm not bashing you, I promise. ;)

If he's actually ATTENTIVE during that 2 1/2 hours, I'd suggest finding other things for him to do. Granted it's nice to be able to have them occupied and happy so you can do something but it will be better for him if he were doing something active.

I've recently cut my daughters TV time way down. She's 16 months old and she eded up watchig more than I had suspected (kinda creeps up on you). When I realized she was watching more than I was comfortable with, I basically just turned the tv off...Really, kids don't seem to miss it much when it isn't on.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 11:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My 2 year old loves Noggin. It's a Preschool Educational channel and he learns all kinds of things from it. It's usually on in the livingroom during the day when he's playing. Since he's in & out of the room frequently, he typically doesn't watch more than a few minutes at a time. But in those few minutes that he DOES watch he learns SO much. Everyday I hear new words that he's picked up from Noggin. Occasionally, he will actually sit down and watch a show for a while. This is usually when he is tired & he falls asleep watching, puts himself down for a nap you might say. We leave Noggin on on his little TV in his room at night so he can put himself back to sleep if he wakes up in the middle of the night. We'll hear him in there giggling at the TV at 3am sometimes, but atleast he's not crying & waking up the rest of the house.

TV effects on children depend on the quality of the programs being watched. Choose wisely!
    6KidzMommie

Answer by 6KidzMommie at 11:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I think that's a lot of TV, but I'm surely not judging because I'm guilty of it too. I'd say that 1 hour to 1 and 1/2 is a limit for that age. I'm considering that sometimes parents like to let the child enjoy their favorite show while mom does some laundry or fixes lunch or starts dinner or puts the other kids in the bath and what not. It's not a bad thing as long as it's educational, but too much of even an educational program IS a bad thing. I have also changed things up in our house. I've stopped turning on the TV and put on music instead. She likes to watch Backyardigans, so I bought a Backyardigans CD with all the best songs, it's GREAT! I also buy her Backyardigan's books and coloring books, etc I'm just giving an example, she has variety LOL But it's just the concept. I put her in her high chair with a snack and some music or give her a crayon and a coloring book. Same thing, but it's better for them in the long run.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I probably am the wrong person to ask! Our Tv is on most of the time, but my son doesn't really pay attention to it except for the 30 mintes in the morning when SuperWHY is on the public channel. My LO is so into his books & letters, etc (which is probably why he likes superwhy) that he stays engrossed in those. And actually....he is such a busy body running & playing & getting into stuff so it's not like he's sitting parked in front of the TV all day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009