How can I put my preschooler/school-ager on a schedule to get him prepared for school?

I recently went to an orientation to try to enroll my son into kindergarten but the principal told me that he is to immature & I agree because he's so busy & he's not disciplined. Although he's as smart as can be, I just don't think he'll make it in school. He's not attending daycare or spending time with any other children his age & I just don't know how to give him the structure he'll need to be ready for school. I feel like I'm doing everything all wrong & it's scaring me. Please help me figure this all out before April because that's when he's going to be tested to see where he fits in. I would like to be able to have him make a little progress before he's tested. I'm feeling desperate & overwhelmed & don't want to be to hard on him & make him resent me. I just want him to be prepared. Please help me!

mistycute2002

Asked by mistycute2002 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• one of the hardest things to remember, you are his MOM not his friend. it is your job to be hard on him, and you are 100% in charge of this little being. He will thank you later for bringing him up well. You don't have to be mean. Just set a schedule that's good for him, and make him stick to it. Find out what things you can bargain with, most people don't like spanking, so know what you're options are for him if he decides to rebel against you. I know it's hard, but good luck!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Holy cow, they get tested for kindergarten??? I live in Canada and both of my kids entered school at the age of 4 in pre kindergarten. The only things that were required was that they know how to wipe when going to the bathroom, and how to sit quietly at lunch time. Everything else was taught by the teachers.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• When is your child's birthday? Is it this summer? Does your area have a preschool program that would take a 5 year old? It really sounds as if he needs to go to Preschool for 1 year and attend Kindergarten in another year. If you and the principle have concerns and he has not had much opportunity to be with other kids, then I would recommend this. If preschool is not possible then you need to have him participate in some activities with other kids his age. Does your local library have a story time? Do you have a museum or playground to play at? Does he attend Sunday school? Have him work with you on some pre-academic skills(colors, letters, shapes, numbers,etc), but make sure you present these skills in a fun, active way. Read books to him and extend the time he has to listen and attend each time. He will need to be able to sit and attend for at least 15 minutes(minimum). Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:25 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You say he's "not disciplined". I'd start there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• yeah, once you get the discipline thing down, he will settle down more. also, most libraries have childrens programs. or do it at home. have scheduled art time where he has to sit down and do art projects, scheduled reading time where you read to him. schedule preschool time, where you sit down and practice things like writing letters or recognizing them, etc.

i agree that it sounds like he needs to go to preschool, but if that is not an option, i would try scheduling activities. but you have got to know how to discipline him. at this point he is use to things the way they are so you will have to be firm to get him use to the new rules.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2009