Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the process to apply for WIC?

I'm in Louisiana (if that matters). Never been on assitance before but I desperately need it now. What is the process? What do I need to bring?, etc?

Answer Question

Asked by mom630 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • How old are your kids? Alot of what you bring depends on that. YOu're gonna need the crib card or birth certificate, and medical from filled out by the doctor for the new born, if you have one, shot records, proof of income, and proof of residency. Some kind of ID for your self of course.

    Answer by Bellakat456 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

  • You'll need to bring proof of residence, like light bill, phone bill, copy of rent check, that shows your address. Also, bring social security cards for all involved. Bring payroll checkstubs or copies of for everyone working in the home. (I'd make copies so you can keep originals in case they get lost). Not sure what else you need to take, it's been too long since I tried getting help.
    Good luck! Hope you have better luck than I did.

    I do know it's a headache and alot of paperwork involved. Be prepared to wait a long time! They get in NO hurry!

    Answer by jon6pat at 11:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

  • I have 3 kids, 2 live primarily with their dad but I claim one for tax reasons per divorce decree and we have jt custody. My boys are 8 and 7 yrs old and my lil girl is 7-1/2 months. Like I said, I've never got help before and I have been trying but think I have finally reached it....thanks!

    Answer by mom630 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

  • I dont know about Lousiana but in PA they only cover kids til they are 5. I looked up the website for you. So you can read that, I hope it helps

    Answer by Bellakat456 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

  • I know they only cover kids til they are 5 but they still count towards the # in your household right? I just need formula for my lil girl

    Answer by mom630 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

  • Is your little girl on state medical??? If so, that is all you need to get started. Just go in there and tell them you need to sign up. You don't need social sec. card, last I checked, although not a bad thing to have just in case. Just to get you through, I would also check the local food bank. They usually have formula, and you could also end up with a little extra food for you and your other 2 kids. If you don't have medical for her, you need to bring a bill and proof of income, and then head over to the DSHS office and get her on medical. JMO, but still a good opinion. :)

    Answer by Amber115 at 12:47 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • Call your local wic office and set up an appointment. They will tell you exactly what you need. Normally it's a birth certificate, proof of any income, something that can prove your legal residence (like a bill with your name and address on it). Also for the first appointment you must bring your child that qualifies because they will take his weight, height, and do a blood test for anemia. It's really not that hard, and it's quite a bit of supplemental food that will help you out.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 1:56 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • If your income is over 50,000.00 you won't qualifiy and Obama is suppose to raise the WIC so you will get more than used too! Food stamps too!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • I'm in Ohio, but I have to stick up for the people that work at WIC. Where I live, they are absolutely FABULOUS!!! They are so together, and nice! They do NOT keep you waiting, you get in and out. When you go to your first appointment you need shot records for kids under 5, proof of all income, like paystubs, proof of residence, a utility bill,an ID for yourself, and your kids under 5. They will do everything in their power to assist you, even find other help for you if you need it! You will get your coupons THAT day, also! Hope this helps!

    Answer by 4kidsandadog at 9:30 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • I'm in KY and all I had to bring with me was his hospital birth certificate to prove my son was mine, my ID and SS card, and proof of address. I hear all the time about women not qualifying for WIC because they make too much money, but I was never asked for proof of income, just the name of where I worked. Here you either have to have a baby or be pregnant. Those are the only requirements. I was approved on the spot for it and got my checks the same day.

    Answer by ShadowRaven at 10:19 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.