What would make you want to host a party?

Online or home party for a direct sales company.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• I can't think of anything lol
    this really isn't exactly the best economic climate for luxury items
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't. And anytime I tried to even those that said they would come never showed. No one has money to spend on frivilous things right now. My fiances co-worker and his girlfriend signed up for partylite recently. He said "we are going to kick ass. Already set up meetings and have a few ladies wanting to book shows" I warned him that you don't make a heck of a lot and shows rarely materialize and he said he had five booked and was excited. Today my fiance told me that the co-worker was upset and pissed because 3 of the 5 cancelled and the other two only had one other person besides the host show up, they didn't make any money! And that's pretty common
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• What the hell I have had top sales for two months in a row, bullshit people aren't spending money! I know I have been and so has my best friend!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have certain companies I will do home shows for, and I have had success with those companies.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Absolutely nothing!
    I hate those parties. Over prices items you can get for half the cost at Wal-Mart. I’ve never seen quality that would cause me to believe that I was getting my moneys worth.
    Almost everyone hates parties. We go because they feel obligated too, we make pity purchases, most of us look at party sales people and are a little embarrassed for them and we feel embarrassed to go.

Lapcounter, in this economy you could have top sales if you sell just 5 products. Multi million dollar companies are going out of business, you can’t expect us to believe that people are going to rush out to purchase party items while the rest of our economy is dieing.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• It really depends on your target audience! Trying to sell Longaberger or Pampered Chef products to a middle income demographic is going to be less likely to yield worthwhile profits than to an upper income demographic! The more disposable income your demographic has, the better you will do!

You also need to take into account the age, marital status, and number/ages of the children of your attendees. Young moms (married or not) likely don't have a lot of disposable income, whereas childless single 20-30 somethings and older working "empty nesters" tend to have the most disposable income. Grandparents like to buy things for their grandchildren and daughters in law--so that opens up a whole new audience!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The other point I wanted to make was if these "Direct Sales" companies had such unique and highly sought after products that people "just had to have," why do they need home sales consultants to sell them? Why wouldn't the company just sell the products themselves through an "open to the public" website or catalog, thereby keeping MORE of the profits?

The original Tupperware parties (which these direct sales companies have been trying to emulate) were hugely successful because of the era in which they were introduced--the 50's through the 70's! There are far fewer SAHM's today than there were 40+ years ago. And even less SAHMs that are interested in owning nice little entertaining pieces/serveware/collections, that cost much more than common storage and entertaining pieces made by Rubbermaid or Ziploc!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:42 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have had Pampered Chef parties before (2, maybe 3 times) and they went well, lots of sales and I got lots of free stuff. I have also had a couple of Lia Sophia parties (jewelry) and they went well too. I have not done a party in a couple of years though, because I know that many people are struggling, and whether you tell people they don't need to buy or not, they still feel obligated to if they attend the party, so I just don't have parties anymore where people feel like they have to buy things.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:53 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I really do not care for these types of parties. never have never will.
    I will not host a party NO MATTER WHAT !! and I dread being invited to them and going to them. I always 'feel' like I have to buy something even if I do not care for the products or will never use them. I will not put my friends and family in a spot like that. There are enough ways out there that if someone wanted a product they can get it themselves without me forcing them to come to my house and order from me.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:00 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Lapcounter, you really have to stop posting just to say i'm full of it. I have NEVER EVER said you CANNOT make money with Direct Sales, but only a selelct FEW do. And honestly, if one company you are with sells SO well and you are rolling in dough why is it you sell for many companies? Because one as a whole isn't making you squat and you NEED to be with several to pick up the slack. The reality is 9 out of 10 women that join a Direct Sales company quit before a YEAR is over. AND the reality is in Direct Sales they say you HAVE to stay with it at least a year before you see a profit, if any. Some women do NOT have that luxury when they are about to lose their house or they need food for the table.

When ever someone on these boards posts "where are legit work at home JOBS" several ladies jump down their throats not to help them, but to RECRUIT them for their OWN gains! Instead of flat out saying "You won't make much"
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2009