i feel like a bad mom..

Today, I was laying in bed with my daughter (18 months old) and I fell asleep. I was so tired from being up all night with her. When I woke up..twenty minutes later she was still there watching tv. Has this happen to you? Am I the only one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh, you're fine. My DH (unfortunately) lets my son, 9 months, watch TV all the time. More unfortunately he likes watching things like Family Guy and DH playing Halo. I'm not saying it's ok to let you kids watch TV because I don't believe in it but it's not going to hurt her.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Your not a bad mom for accidentally falling asleep with your baby. You were just really tired and human so you aren't perfect. At least she didn't go anywhere or get into anything. I have dozed off before while my daughter was awake so it happens to the best of us.
    sunkiss456

Answer by sunkiss456 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Thanks.. I feel better
    Anonymous

• yes it has....sometime a mother has to rest...if u are super tired to the point if u sit down and u are going to nod off then u need a power nap at the very least..u cant take care of your baby being that exhausted...i used to (not everyday but when i was to the point i was going to drop) put my baby in the swing or playpen...so they would be safe...and lay either on the couch next to it or on the floor. pop in a video or give her some of her favorite toys...and have a nap...they say to sleep when ur baby sleeps...but sometimes...u have to improvise...u are not a bad mother...even mothers need rest...
    Anonymous

• You're not a bad mom, for the fact that you have to ask LOL You feel guilty about what happened, and I'm sure you won't make the same mistake again.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• OH MY YES IT HAS!!!! now that they're older it STILL happens. Honestly, you must have needed the shut eye or you wouldn't have fallen asleep. she was in a safe place watching tv, it's not like you had her outside and fell asleep where there was traffic. My mom used to say God has special angels for children. she said it's not even logical that you can keep your eyes on your child 100% of the time. don't beat yourself up, as parents we need the sleep when we can get it! Even though i don't consider it a mistak what you did, we all make them as parents and it will not be the last time yo feel guitly or like a bad mom. but you have to keep going and realize you haven't scarred them for life!
    igot2

Answer by igot2 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• why is that bad?!
    everyone gets tired. I'd just be sure that incase you do lay down again with her that you make sure there is nothing in the room she could hurt herself with. and also that you set some sort of alarm. like 10 15 minutes.
    but thank goodness little ones are mesmerized by the tv
    GA_GiRL0920

Answer by GA_GiRL0920 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• hehehe I have a much worse exhausted mom story than that. Don't feel too bad, I think we have all done it just don't make it a regular thing.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Your just human....not a bad mom at all. We all have to catch up on our sleep someway, it was an accident. It was not like you went in your room closed your door and took a 1hr long nap.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 2:16 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Once I went next door to my MIL's and I sat on her recliner and she was holding my kid. I fell asleep within like 2 mins and slept for like 2 hours. I'm just glad that I took him over there first but if I hadn't I probably would of just had him in a swing and fallen asleep.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:38 AM on Mar. 13, 2009